gener＝to produce（制造；生产），race（种族） 变化型 gen，gent
(a) production 产生; 发生
*the generation of electricity by steam or water-power 蒸汽或水力发电
* the generation of heat by friction 摩擦生热.
(b) (biology 生) production of living beings, esp offspring; procreation 繁殖; （尤指）生育後代.
2 [C] single stage in a family history （家史中的）一代
*a family party at which all three generations were present, ie children, parents and grandparents 三代同堂的家庭聚会
* experience handed down from generation to generation 世代相传的经验.
3 [C, Gp] all people born at about the same time 代（大致在同一时期内出生的所有人）
*My generation behaves differently from my father's and grandfather's. 我这一代人和我父辈及祖辈表现不同.
* [attrib 作定语] a first-, second-, third-, etc generation American, ie sb who himself or whose parents or grandparents, etc emigrated to America 第一、第二、第三等代美国人（本人或其父母或其祖父母等移居美国者）.
4 [C] average period, usu considered to be 25-30 years, in which children grow up to become full adults 一代人的期间, 代（通常认为是从儿童长到成年人的25-30年间）
*a generation ago 一代人之前
* within one generation 在一代人的期间内.
5 [C] single stage in the development of a type of product （产品类型的）代
*the new generation of supersonic airliners 新一代的超音速客机
* [attrib 作定语] third-generation robots 第三代机器人.
n [C also + plural verb British English]
all people of about the same age Like most of my generation, I had never known a war. In my generation the divorce rate is very high. the need to preserve the planet for future generationsgeneration of the post-war generation of writersthe younger/older generation
(=the younger or older people in society) The younger generation don't know what hard work is. The story has been handed down from generation to generation .[C]
all the members of a family of about the same age Friction is common when three generations live together.first-generation/second-generation etc
(=being a member of the first, second etc generation to live or be born in a country) first-generation immigrants a third-generation American[C]
the average period of time between the birth of a person and the birth of that person's childrenfor generations Some families have lived here for generations. The country's attitude toward government is harsher than it was a generation ago.[C]
a group of things that were developed from something else, or from which better things were developedgeneration of the new generation of mobile phones the first generation of nuclear power stationsfirst-generation/second-generation etc second-generation computers[U]
the process of producing something or making something happen
= productiongeneration of the generation of electricity
1. Every generation seems to need to identify itself." 好像每一代人都要找到自己的本色。"
2. By going for next-generation technology now, Vietnamese telecommunications officials say they'll be able to keep pace with anyone in Asia for decades. 由于现在就选用了下一代的技术，越南负责通信的官员说他们能够在数十年中与亚洲的任何一个国家保持同步。
3. We should learn the frugality of last generation. 我们应该学习上辈的俭朴作风。
4. The only way that they can preserve their history is to recount it as sagas----legends handed down from one generation of storytellers to another. 他们保存历史的唯一办法是将历史当作传说讲述，由讲述人一代接一代地将史实描述为传奇故事口传下来。
5. ----spawning a new generation of garage start-ups and giving the U.S. a jump on its foreign rivals in getting new products to market fast. --造就新一代从汽车间起家的技术人员，在把产品推向市场方面使美国把它的外国对手们打个措手不及。
6. And the generation before me said "Go!" "我的上一代人喊道"跑！"
7. As the heads of next-generation start-ups, these Asian innovators can draw on customs and languages to forge tighter links with crucial Pacific Rim markets. 作为新掘起一代的带头人，亚裔发明家可以凭借他们在习惯和语言上的优势，与关键的太平洋沿岸市场建立起更加牢固的联系。
8. At the Nagpur book show, for example, the latest American social publications were conspicuous by their absence and India's politically conscious leadership has been replaced by a new generation, riding on the wave of the Internet, making fortunes wi 例如，正因为那格浦尔书展上有关美国最新社会学出版物的缺乏，这些书籍反而变得引人注目起来。此外，印度有政治意识的领导层已被那些在因特网上冲浪、在短短几年内发了财的新一代人所取代。
9. "Jukus are raising a generation of kids who only know how to pass entrance examinations," said an official of the Japan Teachers Union. "课外学校正在培养一代只知道如何通过入学考试的孩子，"日本教师工会的一名官员说，
10. "A whole generation still remembers when only 21 miles stood between Hitler and the conquest of England," says a professor of English history. 一位英国史教授说，"整整一代人依然记得希特勒曾经只差21英里就征服英国的那个时刻。"