形容词:ghosty 动词过去式:ghosted 过去分词:ghosted 现在分词:ghosting 第三人称单数:ghosts
/gəʊst; ˇost/ n
1 spirit of a dead person appearing to sb who is still living 鬼; 幽灵
*The ghost of Lady Margaret is supposed to haunt this chapel. 据说玛格丽特女士的鬼魂常在这个礼拜堂出没.
* I don't believe in ghosts, ie don't believe that they exist. 我不相信有鬼.
* He looked as if he had seen a ghost, ie looked very frightened. 他那副惊骇的样子就像见到了鬼似的.
2 [sing] ~ of sth (fig 比喻) very faint, slight amount or trace of sth 某事物的一点点; 朦胧的痕迹; 隐约的一丝
*The ghost of a smile (ie a very faint smile) played round her lips. 她嘴角上露着一丝微笑.
* You haven't a ghost of a chance, ie You have no chance. 你毫无机会.
3 faint secondary image on a television screen （电视屏幕 上的）重影, 重像.
4 (idm 习语) give up the `ghost
(a) die 死.
(b) (joc 谑) fail to work or to make an effort 失效; 不能使用; 不再努力
*The car seems to have given up the ghost. 看来这汽车算是报销了. lay a `ghost
(a) exorcise an evil spirit 驱除魔鬼
*The ghost has been laid and will not return to haunt you again. 那鬼魂已经祛除, 不会再回来缠着你了.
(b) (infml 口) finally overcome a previous failure which seemed impossible to recover from 终于洗雪前次似无可挽回的失败
*Her gold-medal victory laid the ghost of her shock defeat in the European Championships. 她在欧洲锦标赛中的惨败终因她夺得金牌的胜利而雪耻.
v [Ipr, Tn] ~ (for) sb act as a ghost-writer for sb 给某人捉刀; 为人代笔
*He ghosts for a number of sports personalities who `write' newspaper columns. 他给一些为报纸专栏｀写＇文章的体育界名人做捉刀人.
* her ghosted memoirs, ie written by someone else 她那由别人代笔的回忆录.
1. Everyone went to the funeral, for the ´ghost´ was none other than Eric Cox, a third brother who was supposed to have died as a young man. 大家都去参加了葬礼，因为那"鬼"不是别人，正是农场主的兄弟埃里克.考科斯。人们以为埃里克年轻时就死了。
2. Was it a real person you saw or a ghost? 你看见的是真人还是鬼?
3. He used to sleep during the day and work at night, quite unaware of the fact that he had become the ghost of Endley. 白天睡觉，夜里出来干活，一点不知道自己已成了恩得利家场的活鬼。
4. He also said that he had found five empty whisky bottles which the ghost must have drunk the night before. 他还说他发现了5只空的威士忌瓶子，肯定是鬼魂昨天晚上喝的。
5. A ghost haunts the castle. 这个城堡闹鬼。
6. A short time ago, villagers were astonished to learn that the ghost of Endley had died. 不久之前，村民们惊悉恩得利农场的鬼死了。
7. She intended to dress up as a ghost and as she had made her costume the night before, she was impatient to try it on. 她打算装扮成鬼的模样。头天晚上她已把化装服做好，这时她急于想试试。
8. She looked like a ghost. "I'm next," she thought realistically; she was an eighteen-year-old girl waiting her turn to die. 她看上去就像个鬼似的。"接下来就轮到我死了，"她想得很现实。她是一个年仅18岁的姑娘，却在等候死亡。
9. Stranger yet are the numerous "ghost" ships that have been found floating crewless within the triangle. 更怪的是，无数"鬼船"被人发现漂浮在三角区域内，船上却杳无人迹。
10. One of the most handsome cars was a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost. 最漂亮的汽车之一是罗尔斯--罗伊斯生产的银鬼汽车，