(a) (of an actor) walk onto the stage （指演员）上场, 发场
*She doesn't go on till Act 2. 她要到第二幕才出场.
(b) (of a sportsman) join a team as a substitute during a match （指运动员）在比赛中上场替换他人
*Allen went on (in place of Lineker) just before half-time. 就在上半场结束前, 艾伦上场（替换莱恩克）.
(c) (of a bowler in cricket) begin to bowl （板球戏中的投球手）开始投球
*Dilley went on (to bowl) after tea. 茶点过後, 迪理上场投球.
(d) start to function; be lit 开始运作; 点亮
*Why won't the heating go on? 为什么供暖设备停了?
* Suddenly all the lights went on. 突然所有的灯都亮了.
(e) (of time) pass; elapse; go by （指时间）过去, 流逝, 经过
*She became more and more talkative as the evening went on. 夜渐深, 她的话也渐渐多起来.
* Things will improve as time goes on. 随着时间的推移, 情况会改善的.
(f) (esp in the continuous tenses 尤用于进行时态) take place; happen 发生; 出现
*What's going on here? 这儿出什么事了?
* There must be a party going on next door. 隔壁准是在举行聚会.
(g) (of a situation or state of affairs) continue without changing （指情况或状态）继续下去而无变化
*The present state of affairs cannot be allowed to go on. 目前的情况不得再继续下去了.
* How much longer will this hot weather go on (for)? 这样炎热的天气还要持续多久?
* We (ie Our relationship) can't go on like this we seem to be always arguing. 我们不能老是这样了--好像我们总在争吵.
(h) continue speaking, after a short pause （经短暂停顿後）继续说
*She hesitated for a moment, and then went on. 她迟疑了一下, 然後接着说.
(i) used to encourage or dare sb to do sth 用以鼓励或鼓动某人做某事
*Go on! Have another drink. 来呀! 再喝一杯. go on sth
(a) begin to receive (payments from the State because one is unemployed) or to take (a medicine) 开始领取（失业补助金）; 开始服用（药物）
*go on social se`curity/the `dole 开始领取社会保障金[失业救济金]
* go on the `pill,ie start using contraceptive pills 开始服用避孕药丸.
(b) (used with the negative or in questions 与否定词连用或用于疑问句) base an opinion or a judgement on sth 以某事物为依据形成意见或判断
*The police don't have much evidence to go on. 警方没有什么证据作凭藉. go `on (about sb/sth) talk about sb/sth for a long time (esp in a boring or complaining way) 长时间谈某人[某事物]（尤指抱怨或令人生厌）
*She does go on sometimes! 她有时就是爱唠叨!
* I know you don't like my smoking, but there's no need to go on about it. 我知道你不喜欢我抽烟, 可也没有必要老唠叨这事. go `on (at sb) complain to sb about his behaviour, work, etc; criticize sb; nag sb 埋怨或责怪（某人的行为、工作等）; 挑剔某人; 数落某人
*She goes on at her husband continually. 她老是数落自己的丈夫. go `on (with sth) continue an activity, esp after a pause or break 继续进行某活动（尤指停顿之後）
*He paused to take a sip of water, and then went on (with his story). 他停下来呷了一口水, 然後继续讲（他的事）.
* If we don't finish painting the kitchen today, we can go on with it tomorrow. 要是今天厨房粉刷不完, 明天可以接着干. go on doing sth continue an activity without stopping 不停地从事某活动
*go on coughing, crying, laughing, talking, etc 不停地咳嗽、哭泣、笑、谈话等
* You can't go on working without a break. 人不能不停地工作而不休息.
* If you go on drinking like this you'll make youself ill. 你这样喝个没完, 要喝出毛病来的. go on to sth pass from one item to the next 从一项目转移至下一项目
*Let's go on to the next item on the agenda. 我们讨论议程表上的下一项吧. go on to do sth do sth after completing sth else 完成一事後接着做某事
*After attacking the Government's economic policy, he went on to describe how the Labour Party would reduce unemployment. 他抨击了政府的经济政策之後, 接着讲述工党降低失业率的计画.