the same level as the surface of the earth, rather than above it or below it
The flats are set around a courtyard with shops at ground level.
1. Every year the United States is host to an average of 78,000 foreign high school level students, of which 3,000 are Brazilian. 美国平均每年要接待78,000名中学学历程度的外国学生，其中3,000个来自巴西。
2. By building the city both deep into the ground and high above it, there would be room for far more people and everything else than there is in today´s two dimensional city. 由于这种城市既建在地下深处，又造在地上高空中，所以能容纳的人和其它各种东西会比今天的平面城市多得多。
3. With the hand held high in the air, hold the string so that the weight nearly touches the ground. 把手高高举在空中握住绳子，让重物几乎接触地面。
4. When it did so, it sent sparks down to the ground and these immediately started a fire. 当它这样做时，把火花送到了地面，这些火花立刻引起了一场大火。
5. Well, I measured the distance of ground, and calculated how deep it was to be dug, how broad, and how the earth to be thrown out. 接着，我测量了一下距离，计算了一下该挖多深、多宽，以及怎样把土运走。
6. Water is in rock deep under the ground, in natural holding areas -- in storage. 水深藏于地底下的岩层里、在天然蓄水区里 -- 水就储存在那里。
7. We finally stopped in front of a narrow street lined on either side with small one-level houses. 我们终于在一条狭窄的、两边都排列着矮小平房的街道前面停了下来。
8. What remained of the life he had made was blown to bits though his home was more than a mile from ground zero. 尽管他家与原子弹爆炸中心相距1英里，但是他所营造的生活中的一切还是被炸成了碎片。
9. When snow or ice was on the ground, it was impossible for him to walk, even with help. 当路上覆盖冰雪时，即使有人搀扶，他也难以行走。
10. While active, child-bearing age women are most likely to have low iron stores, he notes, "Men are not safe, especially if they don't eat meat and have a high level of physical activity." 他还指出，虽然积极锻炼的育龄妇女最有可能铁离子储量低，"但男性也并非不缺铁，尤其是在他们不吃肉类而又从事高强度的体力活动的情况下。"