副词:growingly 名词:grower 动词过去式:grew 过去分词:grown 现在分词:growing 第三人称单数:grows
v (pt grew / gru:; ^ru/, pp grown /grEUn; gron/)
1 [La, I] increase in size or quantity; become greater （体积或数量的）增加; 变大
*How tall you've grown! 你都长这么高了!
* A growing child needs plenty of sleep. 正发育的孩子必须睡眠充足.
* She wants to let her hair grow, ie not have it cut short. 她要留头发.
* You must invest if you want your business to grow. 要想使生意扩大, 必须投资.
2 [I, Ipr] ~ (from sth) (into sth) develop, esp into a mature or an adult form 生长; 发育（尤指成熟或成年）
*Rice does not grow in a cold climate. 稻在寒冷的气候下不能生长.
* Plants grow from seeds. 植物是由种子发育而成的.
* Tadpoles grow into frogs. 蝌蚪能长成蛙.
* (fig 比喻) grow in stature, wisdom, etc 提高名望、增长智慧.
3 [La] become (gradually) （逐渐）变成; 渐变
*grow old(er), rich(er), etc 变得年纪大（些）、富（些）等
* grow small(er), weak(er), etc 变得年纪小（些）、弱（些）等
* It began to grow dark. 天渐渐黑了.
* I grew tired of waiting, and left. 我等得不耐烦了就走了.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (from sth) cause or allow sth to grow 使某物生长; 种植
*grow roses 种玫瑰
* grow a beard 蓄胡须
* grow onions from seed 用种子种洋葱.
5 [It] reach the point or stage at which one does the specified thing 达到做某事的程度或地步
*He grew increasingly to rely on her. 他越来越依赖她了.
* She has a hot temper, but you will soon grow to like her. 她脾气躁, 但不久你就会喜欢她了.
6 (idm 习语) big, etc oaks from little acorns grow => oak. let the grass grow under one's feet => grass1. (not) grow on trees be (not) plentiful, easily obtained, etc （不）多, 易获得等
*Don't spend so much money doesn't grow on trees, you know. 别花这么多--钱不是容易挣的.
7 (phr v) grow away from sb come to have a less close, less easy relationship with sb 与某人逐渐疏远、不太融洽
*a teenage girl growing away from her mother 跟自己的母亲逐渐疏远的少女. grow into sth (no passive 不用于被动语态)
(a) become sth (gradually, with the passage of time) 渐渐成为或变得
*She is growing into a beautiful young woman. 她渐渐出落成美丽的姑娘.
* He has grown into an old miser. 他已经变成老守财奴了.
(b) become big enough to fit (clothes) 长得大以适合于（衣服）
*The coat is too big for him now, but he will grow into it. 这上衣他现在穿还太大, 等他长大些再穿就合适了.
(c) become accustomed to (a new job, role or activity) 变得习惯于（新工作、角色、或活动）
*She is a good actress, but still needs time to grow into the part she is playing. 她是个好演员, 但仍需要时间去熟悉她要扮演的角色. grow on sb (no passive 不用于被动语态)
(a) become more firmly established in sb 对某人的影响变得更深
*a habit that grows on you if you are not careful 若不在意就变成根深蒂固的习惯.
(b) come to have a greater attraction for sb; win the liking of sb 渐渐对某人产生更大的吸引力; 赢得某人的喜爱
*a book, piece of music, etc that grows on you 渐渐把人迷住的书、乐曲等. grow out of sth
(a) become too big to wear sth 长得高大而不能穿某物
*grow out of one's clothes 长得高大致使穿不下自己原来的衣服.
(b) become too old for sth and stop doing it 年龄增长不再做某事
*grow out of children's games, etc 年龄大了不再做儿童游戏等.
(c) (no passive 不用于被动语态) have sth as a source 由某事物而产生
*My interest in the art of India grew out of the time I spent there during the war. 战争时期我在印度时对其艺术产生了兴趣. grow up
(a) (of people or animals) reach the stage of full development; become adult or mature （指人或动物）长大; 成年; 成熟
*She's growing up fast. 她长得很快.
* Oh, grow up! ie Behave in a more mature way. 噢, 别那么不懂事了（表现得成熟些吧）! Cf 参看 grown up (grown).
(b) develop 发展
*A close friendship gradually grew up between them. 他们之间的友谊日益亲密.
v past tensegrew [gruː/
1. Everything I was experiencing — the ride in the elevator, being in an apartment, eating day-old food that had been stored in a refrigerator — was such a good idea that I could imagine I would grow used to it and like it very much. 我现在所经历的每一样东西——乘电梯、住套房、吃那在冰箱里存放了一天的食物——都是我能想象得到的美妙东西, 以至于我认为我会慢慢地习惯，而且还会非常喜欢它们的。
2. B. Yes, that´s one of the finest things about the book — it shows how young intellectuals grow into determined Communists through the Party´s education and the struggles they take part in. B． 是的，这就是这本书最好的一点——它展示了年轻的知识分子是怎样通过党的教育和他们所参与的斗争而成长为意志坚定的共产主义者的。
3. What are you going to be when you grow up? 长大以后，你想做什么？
4. When my wife nagged me to do something about it, I told her that either I would have to buy a new mower or let the grass grow. 妻子喋喋不休让我想点办法。我告诉她，要么买一台新割草机，要么让草长下去。
5. When the fire had at last been put out, the forest authorities ordered several tons of a special type of grass-seed which would grow quickly. 在大火最后被扑灭后，森林管理当局订购了好几吨一种生长迅速的特殊类型的草籽。
6. Wilmut knew that each cell of the body contains a full set of genetic instructions — instructions to grow a complete individual. 威尔莫特知道，身体的每一个细胞都含有一整套基因指令——长成一个完整个体的指令。
7. When personalities don't mix, the excitement of being away at college can quickly grow stale. 彼此性格不合时，离家上大学的那种兴奋感就会立刻变得索然无味。
8. What then does it really mean to grow old? 那么年老到底意味着什么呢？
9. The fish are not sharks or killer whales, but favourite eating varieties like cod and skate which grow to unnatural sizes, sometimes as much as twelve feet in length. 这些鱼并不是鲨鱼或逆戟鲸，而是深受人们喜爱的食用鱼品种，如鳕鱼和鳐鱼，只不过它们长得出奇地大，有时长达12英尺。
10. Three factors have caused these fish to grow so large: 这些鱼能长得这么大是由3个因素造成的：