-t 表示抽象名称的词尾 变化型 -th
(a) (process of) growing; development 生长（过程）; 发展
*the rapid growth of plants, of hair, of inflation, of the economy 植物的迅速生长、毛发的迅速生长、通货膨胀的迅速加剧、经济的迅速发展
* Lack of water will stunt the plant's growth. 缺水会影响植物的生长.
* a phenomenon of comparatively recent growth, ie that has developed recently 近期产生的现象
* [attrib 作定语] a growth industry, ie one which is developing faster than most others 发展特别快的行业.
(b) ~ (in/of sth) increase 增加; 增长
*the recent growth in/of violent crime 近期暴力罪行的增加.
2 [U] increase in economic activity, profitability, etc 经济活动、收益等的增加
*The government has decided to go for growth, ie a policy of increased production, spending, etc. 政府已决定促进经济发展.
* [attrib 作定语] Japan's growth rate 日本的增长率.
3 [sing] thing that grows or has grown 生长物; 长成物
*a thick growth of weeds 杂草丛生
* a week's growth of beard 长了一星期的胡须.
4 [C] abnormal or diseased formation in the body (eg a tumour or cancer) 体内不正常的或有病变的生长物（如肿瘤或癌）; 瘤; 癌
*a (non-)malignant growth 恶[良]性肿瘤.
1【increase】2【business/economy】3【size/strength】4【importance】5【personal development】6【disease】7【growing thing】
an increase in amount, number, or size
≠ declinegrowth in/of We've seen an enormous growth in the number of businesses using the Web. the rapid growth of world population the recent growth of interest in African music【BUSINESS/ECONOMY】 [singular,U]
an increase in the value of goods or services produced and sold by a business or a country
≠ decline measures to stimulate economic growthstrong/rapid/slow etc growth a period of rapid growth in the economy The company is preparing for zero growth (=no growth) this year.growth area/industry Debt collection is a huge growth industry.【SIZE/STRENGTH】 [singular,U]
the development of the physical size, strength etc of a person, animal, or plant over a period of time Vitamins are essential for healthy growth. a means of stimulating plant growth a growth hormone (=substance in the body that causes you to grow)【IMPORTANCE】 [singular,U]
a gradual increase in the importance or influence that something hasgrowth of Cinemas declined with the growth of television.【PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT】[U]
the development of someone's character, intelligence, or emotions A loving home is essential for a child's personal growth .emotional/intellectual/spiritual etc growth the journey toward spiritual growth【DISEASE】[C]
a swelling on or inside a person, animal, or plant, caused by disease
→tumour a cancerous growthgrowth on a growth on his lung【GROWING THING】 [U and C]
something that has grown Feed the plants to encourage new growth. His chin bore a thick growth of stubble.
1. Energy from nuclear power plants is steadily increasing but the problem of dangerous waste limits growth in many regions. 核电厂提供的能源在稳步上升，但是在许多地区都因核电厂的有害废料问题而使发展受到限制。
2. Each person generates about 4.4 pounds of garbage a day — a number that has seen steady growth. 每人每天生产的垃圾大约为4.4磅，这一数字仍在持续增长。
3. Bill: Wow! You´re right! That´s really funky You´re got some growth on your face, too, don´t you? 比尔:噢!你说得对!那真是独特!你脸上也长些东西,不是吗?
4. Whether the remarkable growth of organized camping means the eventual death of the more independent kind is hard to say. 有组织的露营活动的明显发展是否意味着较独立的自我封闭式露营的最终消失，还很难说。
5. The chart showed the company´s rapid growth in recent years. 图表显示了该公司近年来的迅速发展。
6. There has been a growth in the number of students. 学生的人数增加了。
7. The rate of growth was unprecedented. 这个成长率是前所未有的。
8. The growth of alternative mental interests is a long process. 精神上多种情趣的培养是一个长期的过程。
9. This explosive growth has led to removal of forests in much of the country, and excessive use of existing farmland. 这种人口激增已导致了该国许多地方森林的消失及对现存农田过度耕作。
10. To understand a country's economy, economists check growth in an industry such as steel. 为了了解一个国家的经济状况，经济学家对某个行业——如钢铁企业——的增长情况进行调查。