n.守卫,警戒,护卫队,防护装置 vt.保卫,看守,当心 vi.防止,警惕,警卫
名词:guarder 动词过去式:guarded 过去分词:guarded 现在分词:guarding 第三人称单数:guards
1 [U] state of watchfulness against attack, danger or surprise 警戒; 看守; 守望
*a soldier, sentry, etc on guard, ie at his post, on duty 担任警戒的士兵、哨兵等
* The escaped prisoner was brought back under (close) guard, ie (closely) guarded. 在严密的戒备下将逃犯押回.
* policemen keeping guard outside the building 在建筑物外面守备的警察
* [attrib 作定语] guard duty 警卫任务
* a guard dog, ie kept to guard a building, etc 警卫犬.
2 [U] position of readiness to defend oneself, eg in boxing, fencing, bayonet-drill 防御姿势（如在拳击、剑术、劈刺中）
*drop/keep up one's guard 未作出[保持]防御姿势
* (fig 比喻) an awkward question which got through/penetrated the minister's guard 突破部长防范的尴尬问题.
(a) person (esp a soldier or policeman) who watches over sb or sth 警卫（尤指士兵、警察）
*The prisoner slipped past the guards on the gate and escaped. 犯人从大门口的警卫身旁溜过逃走了.
* a se`curity guard, ie one responsible for protecting property, a building, its grounds, etc against entry by intruders, burglars, etc 守卫者
* `border guards 边防战士.
(b) (esp US) (Brit warder) person who watches over prisoners in gaol 监狱看守.
4 (a) the guard [Gp] group of soldiers who protect buildings, etc 警卫队
*the changing of the guard, ie replacing of one such group by another, eg at Buckingham Palace 换岗（如白金汉宫之更换警卫）
* The guard are being inspected today. 警卫队今天要接受检阅.
* double the guard (in an emergency), ie have twice the usual number of sentries on duty 派双岗（在紧急情况下派两倍于平时数目的哨兵上岗）.
(b) [CGp] body of soldiers with the duty of protecting, honouring or escorting sb 卫士队; 仪仗队
*On his arrival the president inspected the guard of honour. 总统抵达时, 检阅了仪仗队.
5 the Guards [pl] (in Britain and some other countries) regiments whose original duty was to protect the sovereign （英国和某些国家的）禁卫军; 警卫部队
*the Royal `Horse Guards 禁卫骑兵队
* [attrib 作定语] a Guards officer 禁卫队军官.
6 [C] (Brit) person in charge of a railway train 列车长.
7 [C] (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词) (part of an) article or apparatus designed to prevent injury or loss 保护器; 防护罩; 防卫物
*Ensure the guard is in place before operating the machine. 将防护罩确实放好後再开机器.
* a `fire-guard, ie in front of a fireplace
* a `mudguard, ie over the wheel of a bicycle, etc.
8 (idm 习语) mount guard => mount. off/on one's `guard unprepared/prepared for an attack, a surprise or a mistake 失去[保持]警惕
*be on one's guard against saying the wrong thing 提防说错话
* put sb on his guard 使某人提防
* The lawyer's seemingly innocent question caught the witness off his guard. 那个律师提出的似乎无关痛痒的问题, 把证人问得措手不及. stand `guard (over sb/sth) act as a sentry 站岗; 守卫
*Four soldiers stood guard over the coffin. 四个士兵守卫灵柩.
1. While two detectives were keeping guard at the door, two others opened the parcel. 这时两个侦探把住门口，另外两个侦探打开了包裹。
2. When he had killed the guard, the prisoner of war quickly dragged him into the bushes. 那个战俘杀死卫兵以后，迅速地把尸体拖进了灌木丛。
3. The girl, tears streaming down her face, begged to be allowed to slip into the guard´s van. 女孩泪流满面，央求让她不声不响地到押车员车厢里去算了。
4. These lessons are not the only solutions to the crisis but until there is a cure for AIDS, education represents the only safe measure to guard against the virus. 这些经验不是解决艾滋病危机的惟一方法，但在找到治疗艾滋病的方法之前，教育不失为预防感染艾滋病毒的惟一安全的措施。
5. They picked up the bank guard who, poor fellow, was still lying flat on the floor. There was a good deal of confusion (混乱). 门外繁华的街道上生活仍然正常地进行着，我也漫步走回学校。途中我碰到了学校的会计，并平静地向他提及了我刚刚经历了一起银行抢劫案。当然，他非常惊讶，并且问我，"想喝点什么吗？"我说"好的。"
6. Dressed up as Father Christmas and accompanied by a ´guard of honour´ of six pretty girls, 他打扮成圣诞老人，在由6个漂亮姑娘组成的"仪仗队"的陪同下，
7. And England's Home Guard prepared to fight on the beaches, on the cliffs, and in the hills, until the last Englishman died or the invaders were driven off. 英国的民防军准备在海滩、悬崖和山区战斗，直到最后一个英国人战死, 或者侵略者被赶走为止。
8. A detachment of ten men remained behind to guard the prisoners. 一个由十人组成的小分队在后面监视犯人。
9. At the gate the guard stopped him. 警卫在大门口拦住了他。
10. My interest was aroused and since then I have always been on my guard against such blunders. 于是我的兴趣提高了。从此以后，我经常留心，不犯以上这类错误。