vt.猜测,推测,猜中,猜对,想,认为 vi.猜,推测 n.猜测,推测
名词:guesser 动词过去式:guessed 过去分词:guessed 现在分词:guessing 第三人称单数:guesses
1 (a) [I, Ipr, Tn, Tf, Tw, Tnt] ~ (at sth) give an answer, form an opinion or make a statement about (sth) without calculating or measuring and without definite knowledge 猜想; 估计; 臆测; 推测
*You don't know. You're just guessing! 你不知道. 你只管猜!
* guess at an answer 猜答案
* guess right/wrong 猜对[错]
* `Can you guess her age/guess how old she is?' `I'd guess that she's about 30/guess her to be about 30.' ｀你能猜出她的年龄吗?＇｀我估计她大概30岁.＇
(b) [Tn, Tf, Tw no passive 不用于被动语态] do this correctly 猜出; 猜着; 猜中
*She guessed the answer straight away. 她马上就猜中了答案.
* I knew by her smile that she had guessed what I was thinking. 我从她的微笑知道她猜着了我在想什么.
* You'll never guess how they got in! 你永远也猜不透他们是怎么进去的!
2 [no passive 不用于被动语态
*Tn, Tf] (infml 口 esp US) suppose (sth); consider likely 推测（某事）; 认为可能
*I guess you're feeling tired after your journey. 我想你在旅行之後一定感到很疲劳.
* `Will you be there?' `I guess so.' ｀你那时能在那里吗?＇｀我想可能在.＇
3 (idm 习语) keep sb `guessing (infml 口) keep sb uncertain about one's plans, etc 使别人对自己的计划等犹豫不定.
1 ~ (at sth); ~ (that...) opinion formed by guessing 猜测; 猜想
*have/make a guess (at sth) （对某事）加以猜想
* If I might hazard a guess, I'd say she was about 30. 要是让我猜的话, 我说她大概30岁.
* My guess is that it will rain soon. 我猜一会儿要下雨.
* Your guess is as good as mine, ie I do not know. 我跟你一样都不知道.
* I'll give you three guesses! ie The answer is fairly obvious and you should guess it easily. 我让你猜三次（你显然一猜就能猜中）!
2 (idm 习语) `anybody's guess fact that no one can be sure about 无人能说得准的事
*What will happen is anybody's guess! 要发生什么事, 谁也说不准! at a `guess making a guess 依猜测
*`How old is she?' `At a guess, about 30.' ｀她有多大年纪?＇｀凭猜测, 大概30岁.＇ an educated guess => educate.
1. But tell me, Joe, how did you guess that I wasn´t giving music lessons?" 告诉我，乔，你怎么猜到我不是在教音乐课？”
2. As a reasonable guess, they might, on an average, be 100 light years away.(A light year is the distance which light travels at 186,000 miles per second in one year, namely 6 million million miles.) 据合理推算，外星人离我们平均距离也有100光年之远（1光年是光以每秒186，000英里的速度在一年内走的距离，即6万亿英里）。
3. Guess! 你猜！
4. Guess-translating, he said one meant beobab tree, which is very common in West Africa, and another might be Mandinka for cow. 猜着翻译，他说一个词的意思是beobab树，这种树在西非很常见，另外一个可能是母牛的曼丁哥语。
5. I guess he was just flattering me. 我猜想他只是在奉承我。
6. It is impossible to make more than the wildest guess at how many they kill, 它们一年中消灭了多少昆虫，我们简直无法猜测，