动词过去式:holed 过去分词:holed 现在分词:holing 第三人称单数:holes
(a) sunken or hollow place in a solid mass or surface; cavity 洞; 孔; 坑; 洞穴
*a hole in a tooth 龋齿的洞
* roads full of holes 满是坑洼的道路.
(b) opening through sth; gap 开口; 裂口
*The prisoner escaped through a hole in the wall. 那囚犯从墙上的缺口处逃走了.
* I've worn holes in my socks. 我把袜子穿破了.
* My socks are in holes/full of holes, ie worn so much that holes have formed. 我的袜子破了.
* a hole in the heart, ie a defect at birth in the membrane of the heart 先天性心膜缺损.
(a) animal's burrow （动物的）巢穴
*a `mouse hole 鼠洞
* a fox's hole 狐穴.
(b) (usu sing 通常作单数) (fig infml 比喻, 口) small, dark or unpleasant room, flat, district, etc 狭小、阴暗或简陋的房间、住所、区域等
*Why do you want to live here it's a dreadful hole! 你为什么要住在这里--这小地方简直糟透了.
3 [sing] (sl 俚) awkward or difficult situation 窘境; 困境
*be in (a bit of) a hole 感到（有点）为难.
4 [C] (sport 体)
(a) hollow or cavity into which a ball, etc must be hit in various games （多种游戏中将球等击入的）洞或孔
*an ,eighteen-hole `golf-course 有十八个洞的高尔夫球场.
(b) (in golf) section of a golf-course between a tee and a hole; point scored by a player who reaches the hole with the fewest strokes （高尔夫球）由球座到球洞的一段距离, 以最少杆数进球所得的分数
*win the first hole 在第一洞时领先.
5 (idm 习语) have an ace in the hole => ace. a hole in the `wall very small dingy shop, cafe, etc, esp in a row of buildings 狭小而昏暗的店 、小餐馆等（尤指设于成排建筑物中的）. make a hole in sth (infml 口) use a large amount of (one's money, supplies, etc) 大量耗费（金钱、供应品等）
*The hospital bills made a big hole in his savings. 医疗费已用掉了他一大笔存款. money burns a hole in sb's pocket => money. pick holes in sth => pick3.
1 [Tn] make a hole or holes in (sth) 在（某物）上打洞或穿孔
*The ship was holed by an iceberg. 冰山把那船撞出了窟窿.
2 [I, Ip, Tn] ~ (out) (in golf, etc) hit (the ball) into a hole （高尔夫球等）击（球）入洞
*She holed out from forty yards. 她从四十码远的地方把球打入洞中.
3 (phr v) hole up (also be holed up) (sl 俚 esp US) hide oneself 躲藏
*The gang (was) holed up in the mountains somewhere. 那帮匪徒躲在山中某处.
1. We want it to stay down the hole until we can lead it off in a controlled manner. 我们要让石油留在井下，直到我们能用一种有控制的方法把它引上来为止。
2. We felt sure that sooner or later a stone would rip a hole in our petrol tank or damage the engine. 我们想念迟早会飞起一个石块把油箱砸开一个窟窿，或者把发动机砸坏。
3. They came upon a hole in the chimney. 他们偶然发现烟囱里面有一个洞。
4. The whale expelled water from his blow hole. 鲸鱼从鼻孔排水。
5. There is a hole in my shoe--can you repair it? 我这只鞋有个洞--你能给修理吗？
6. Tom´s big toe is showing through a hole in his sock. 汤姆的大脚拇趾从袜子的洞里露了出来。
7. The Ambassador´s wife went on asking questions, when she suddenly noticed a big hole in her husband´s hat. 大使夫人继续提出问题，她突然又发现丈夫的帽子上有个洞。
8. There is a large hole in it and I must mend it. 屋顶上有一个大洞，我得把它补上。
9. That makes you go into a hole and stay there." "那样会使你陷入困境，并永远陷在那儿。"
10. He fell into a deep hole full of water and was drowned. 掉进一个深水坑里淹死了。