n.洞,窟窿,山谷 adj.空的,虚伪的,空腹的,凹的 adv.<口>彻底vi.形成空洞 vt.挖空,弄凹
名词:hollowness 副词:hollowly 形容词比较级:hollower 最高级:hollowest 动词过去式:hollowed 过去分词:hollowed 现在分词:hollowing 第三人称单数:hollows
1 having a hole or empty space inside; not solid 空的; 中空的
*a hollow tree, ball 中空的树、球.
2 sunken; deeply set 凹的; 凹陷的
*hollow cheeks 凹陷的双颊
* ,hollow-`eyed from lack of sleep 由于睡眠不足而双眼凹陷的.
3 [usu attrib 通常作定语] (of sounds) echoing, as if coming from a hollow place （指声音）似由空腔中发出而生共鸣的, 重浊的
*a hollow groan 低沉的呻吟.
4 (fig 比喻)
(a) false; insincere 虚伪的; 缺乏诚意的
*a hollow promise 空洞的诺言
* hollow (ie forced and cynical) laughter 虚伪的笑声
* His words rang hollow. 他的话听起来缺乏诚意.
(b) without real value; worthless 无真正价值的; 不足道的
*hollow joys and pleasures, ie not giving true happiness 空欢喜
* win a hollow victory 表面上获胜.
5 (idm 习语) beat sb hollow => beat1. have hollow legs (Brit joc 谑) have a large appetite 胃口很大.
(a) sunken place, esp a small valley 凹陷处; （尤指）小山谷
*a wooded hollow 树木繁茂的小山谷.
(b) hole or enclosed space within sth 洞; 孔; 围以某物之处
*She held the small bird in the hollow of her hand. 她把那小鸟握在掌心里.
1 [Tn, Tn.p] ~ sth (out) form (sth) into a hollow shape 使（某物）成为中空形状或变成凹形
*river banks hollowed out by rushing water 由于激流冲刷而凹陷了的河岸.
2 (phr v) hollow sth out form sth by making a hole in sth else 在一物上挖洞形成某物; 挖成某物
*hollow out a nest in a tree trunk 在树干上凿巢.
1. Both marriage and family involve long-term obligations and responsibility for shared care, not just the search of happiness, that hollow goal of the modern age. 婚姻和家庭意味着互相关爱的长期义务与责任，而不仅仅是寻求幸福，这一摩登时代的空洞目标。
2. They are hollow, which makes them very light. 它们是空心的, 所以很轻.
3. Tom said to himself that it was not such a hollow world after all. 汤姆自言自语说世界并不是如此空虚。
4. He gets the solid shape, as it were, inside his head----he thinks of it, whatever its size, as if he were holding it completely enclosed in the hollow of his hand. 可以说，当他想像一个物体时，不管其大小如何，他脑子里得到的是一个立体的概念，就好像完全握在自己手心里一样。
5. Life to him seemed hollow, and existence but a burden. 生命对他来说是空虚的，活在世上不过是一种负担。