名词:hoper 动词过去式:hoped 过去分词:hoped 现在分词:hoping 第三人称单数:hopes
1 [C, U] ~ (of/for sth); ~ (of doing sth/that...) desire for sth to happen, combined with the expectation that it will 希望; 期望
*cherish a/the hope that he will recover 希望他恢复健康
* a ray of hope, ie a slight hope 一线希望
* Our hopes for fine weather were not disappointed. 我们盼望天气好, 这倒并未落空.
* We've set/pinned all our hopes on you. 我们全指望你了.
* She has (high) hopes (ie is very confident) of winning. 她对胜利充满信心.
* Don't give up hope yet. 不要就此失去信心.
* There is not much hope that they are/hope of their being still alive. 他们仍然活着的希望不大.
* All hope (of finding them) was abandoned and the search was called off. （找到他们的）一切希望都已化为泡影, 因而搜寻工作停止了.
2 [C usu sing 通常作单数] person, thing or circumstance that encourages hope 使人抱有希望的人、事物或情况
*You are my last hope; if you can't help, I'm ruined. 你是我最後的希望, 你要是帮不了我, 我就完了.
* Does our only hope of survival lie in disarmament? 我们求生的唯一希望就在于裁军吗?
3 (idm 习语) be beyond hope have no chance of succeeding, recovering, etc （成功、痊愈等）毫无希望. build up/raise sb's hopes encourage sb to expect better fortune, etc 使某人抱有希望
*Don't raise his hopes too much. 不要让他存有奢望. dash/shatter sb's hopes cause sb to lose hope 使某人失望; 使某人的希望破灭
*All our hopes were dashed by the announcement. 这事宣布後, 我们的一切希望都落空了. a forlorn hope => forlorn. have a hope (of doing sth) have a chance of succeeding, recovering, etc 有（成功、痊愈等的）希望
*He has no hope of winning. 他没有希望获胜. hold out (some, not much, little, no, etc) hope (of sth/that...) provide (some, etc) reason to expect sth 对（某事物）抱（一些）希望
*The doctors held out no hope of recovery. 医生们对痊愈不抱希望. in the hope of sth/that... because of the wish for sth/that... 怀着...的希望
*I called in the hope of finding her at home. 我希望她能在家才给她打的电话. live in hope; live in hope(s) of sth => live2. not have a hope in hell have no chance at all 不抱任何希望. not a `hope; ,some `hope! (there is) no chance at all (that that will happen) 毫无指望
*`He might turn up with the cash.' `Some hope!' ｀他也许会带钱来.＇｀那是妄想!＇
v [I, Ipr, Tf, Tt] ~ (for sth)
1 (a) desire and expect (sth) or feel confident (about sth) 希望, 期待（某事物）; （对某事物）有信心
*We haven't heard from him for weeks but we're still hoping (for a letter). 我们已经有好几个星期没有听到他的消息了, 但是仍然在盼望着（能有信来）.
* I hope to announce the winner shortly. 我希望马上宣布胜利者的名字.
(b) wish (sth); desire 但愿（某事物）; 想望
*`Will it rain tomorrow?' `I hope not/so.' ｀明天会下雨吗?＇｀但愿不会下[能下].＇
* We hope (that) you're well. 我们希望你健康.
2 (idm 习语) ,hope against `hope (that)... continue to hope for sth even though it is very unlikely 对某事物仍抱一线希望. ,hope for the `best hope for a favourable result 希望获得好结果.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Compare hope and wish as verbs. 试比较作为动词的hope和wish.
1 Hope (that) indicates a desire relating to the past, present or future *hope (that)指与过去、现在或未来有关的希望
*I hope you weren't late. 我希望你没有迟到.
* I hope you're ready. 我希望你已经准备好了.
* We hope you'll be very happy. 我们希望你非常幸福. Wish (that) expresses regret about the past, present or future *wish (that)表达的是过去、现在或将来发生的令人遗憾的事
*I wish I hadn't gone to that party, ie but I went. 我那时要是不去参加聚会就好了（但是我去了）.
* I wish I could speak Chinese, ie but I can't. 我要是会说汉语该多好（但是我不会说）.
* I wish I was going on holiday next month, ie but I'm not. 我要是下个月去度假多好哇（但是我不能去）.
2 Hope and wish can also be used with an infinitive, in which case their meanings are closer. *hope和wish亦可与不定式连用, 此时两者意义较为接近. She hopes to get a job overseas means she has a strong desire to get one and there's a good possibility that she will. *She hopes to get a job overseas（她希望找个海外的工作）意为她有此强烈愿望并极有可能实现. She wishes to get a job overseas is a formal way of saying that she wants to get one. *She wishes to get a job overseas（她盼望找个海外的工作）是表达她有此愿望的郑重说法.
1. But the chances are against it, and there is a virtual limit on how long we can hope to remain alive, however lucky and robust we are. 但这种可能性很小。不管我们多么幸运，多么健壮，我们所希望的长寿实际上是有限度的。
2. But this hope is always in the realms of science fiction. 但是，这种希望总是只在科幻小说中存在。
3. But the spider did not lose hope. 但是蜘蛛并没有灰心，
4. By then, Miss Parry had crawled (爬行) to the back of the building, where doors to the apartment house held out hope for safety. 此时帕里小姐已经爬到了大楼的后面，那儿的门提供了逃生的希望。
5. But there is still hope. 然而希望还是有的。
6. By denying our ageing, we hope to escape the penalties placed upon growing old. 我们想用否认衰老来逃避年老所要受的苦难。
7. We have only a diaphanous hope of success. 我们只有隐约的成功希望。
8. Where there is life, there is hope. 有生命必有希望。
9. Where there is life, there is hope. 生命不息，希望常在。
10. Without something of this kind, searching for intelligences on other planets would be like trying to meet a friend in London without a pre-arranged rendezvous and absurdly wandering the streets in the hope of a chance encounter. 没有这手段，要想寻觅其他星球上的智力生命，就如同去伦敦见一位朋友，事先未约定地点，而荒唐地在街上游逛，以期待碰巧遇上一样。