/'hɒrəbl; [US] 'hɔ:r-; `hɔrəbl/
1 causing horror 可怕的; 令人恐惧的
*a horrible crime, nightmare, death 骇人听闻的罪行、叫人心惊胆颤的恶梦、令人恐惧的死亡.
2 (infml 口) very unpleasant 令人极不愉快的
*horrible weather, food, people 糟糕的天气、难吃的食物、极不友好的人
* It tastes horrible. 这味道很不好.
* Don't be so horrible (to me). 别那么（让我）讨厌.
[Date: 1200-1300; Language: French;Origin:Latin horribilis, from horrere; HORROR]
very bad - used for example about things you see, taste, or smell, or about the weather
The weather has been really horrible all week.
a horrible smell
The food looked horrible, but it tasted OK.
very unpleasant and often frightening, worrying, or upsetting
a horrible dream
I have a horrible feeling that we're going to miss the plane.
rude and unfriendly
She's a horrible person.
What a horrible thing to say!
be horrible to sb
Why are you being so horrible to me?
Her face was horribly scarred.
The whole plan had gone horribly wrong .
WORD FOCUS: horrible
taste or smell: nasty, not very nice, revolting, disgusting, foul, unpleasant, gross(informal)
experience, situation, or feeling: nasty, not very nice, terrible, unpleasant
person: nasty, not very nice, obnoxious, mean(AmE), unpleasant, objectionable
1. We enjoy reading about them, especially when we find that, like the praying mantis, they lead perfectly horrible lives. 我们喜欢看有关昆虫的书，尤其是当我们了解螳螂等过着一种令人生畏的生活时，就更加爱读有关昆虫的书了。
2. Kerosene smells horrible. 煤油很难闻。
3. "Why do you have to listen to such horrible stuff? It's the same thing over and over. I'm not sure it is really music though it does have rhythm. "你为什么一定要听这么糟糕的音乐？一样的东西，听了一遍又一遍。虽然有节奏，可恐怕不是真正的音乐。
4. Madame Loisel now knew the horrible life of the needy. 现在，路瓦栽夫人尝到了缺吃少穿的生活有多么可怕。
5. It´s a horrible film. 是一部恐怖片.
6. It's weird. It is definitely horrible stuff." 这音乐怪透了，绝对糟糕透顶。"
7. Following him through the door were three absolutely frightening men wearing those horrible stocking masks. They were carrying guns; at least the one in front was carrying a pistol. 如今我已记不起他们当时有没有说些什么，我也不知道人们是否都不由自主地举起了双手。我举起了手，可那只是因为当时我不知道该怎么办。