1 (used before an adj or adv 後接形容词或副词) to whatever extent or degree 无论如何; 不管多么
*You won't move that stone, however strong you are. 不管你力气多大, 也休想搬动那块石头.
* She leaves her bedroom window open, however cold it is. 无论天气多么冷, 她都敞着卧室的窗户.
* He will never succeed however hard he tries. 不论他怎样努力, 都不会获得成功.
* However short the journey is, you always get something to eat on this airline. 不管航程多么短, 这一班机上都有些吃的.
2 (used to comment on a previously stated fact 用于言及既成事实时表示转折) although sth is, was or may be true; nevertheless 然而; 不过; 仍然
*She felt ill. She went to work, however, and tried to concentrate. 她病了. 然而她照旧去上班, 并且尽力集中精神工作.
* His first response was to say no. Later, however, he changed his mind. 他最初的反应是不同意. 可是後来他改变了主意.
* I thought those figures were correct. However, I have recently heard they were not. 我原以为那些数字正确无误. 不过我最近听说并不正确. => Usage at although 用法见although.
conj in any way; regardless of how 无论以何种方式; 不管怎样
*You can travel however you like. 你可以随心所欲地去旅行.
* However I approached the problem, I couldn't find a solution. 这一问题我不管怎样都无法解决.
interrog adv (expressing surprise 表示惊奇) in what way; by what means 究竟怎样; 到底以什么方式
*However did you get here without a car? 没有汽车你究竟是怎样来的呢?
* However does he manage to write music when he is so deaf? 他聋成这个样子, 究竟是怎样从事作曲的呢?