动词过去式:hungered 过去分词:hungered 现在分词:hungering 第三人称单数:hungers
(a) state of not having enough to eat; lack of food 饿; 饥饿
*He died of hunger. 他饿死了.
(b) desire for food 食欲
*satisfy one's hunger 解饿.
2 [sing] ~ for sth (fig 比喻) strong desire for sth 渴望某事物
*have a hunger for adventure 渴望冒险.
1 [I] (arch 古) feel a lack of or desire for food 饥饿.
2 (phr v) hunger for/after sth/sb have a strong desire for sth/sb; long for sth/sb 渴望得到某事物[某人]
*She hungered for his love. 她渴望得到他的爱.
1. The small ration of rice could hardly satisfy his hunger. 配给他的一点点米并不能使他免除饥饿。
2. He died of hunger. 他饿死了.
3. His patrols halted the raiding parties: hunger assailed the Danish army. 他派出巡逻队阻止敌人抢劫，因而饥饿威胁着丹麦军队。
4. His foot hurt, but it was nothing compared with his hunger, which made him go on until darkness fell. His blanket was wet, but he knew only he was hungry. In his troubled sleep, he dreamed of rich meals. He woke up cold, sick and lost; the small bag 跟肚中的饥饿比起来，脚上的伤根本算不了什么。饥饿感驱使他不停地走，直到天黑。毯子已经湿了，他没觉察到。他惟一清楚的就是饥饿。这一晚上，他睡得极不踏实，他梦到了丰盛的饭菜。醒来时，他觉得冷, 觉得没有力气，辨不清方向。那个小包还在。
5. During spring and summer and autumn he was very happy, but when winter came, he suffered from cold and hunger, and often went to bed without supper. 在春天、夏天和秋天，他很快活。可是一到冬天，他便饥寒交迫，
6. A baby´s cry may be expressive of hunger or pain. 婴儿的啼哭可能表示饥饿或疼痛。
7. As an outcome of their hunger for empires, the Earth was abused. 他们渴望成为帝国的贪欲造成了地球资源被滥用的恶果。
8. Government cuts in welfare have resulted in hunger and suffering for a lot of people, not just me. 政府削减福利开支已经导致许多人挨饿受苦，我只是其中之一。
9. I had experienced the pangs of hunger. 我曾经历过饥饿的折磨。
10. I had been spared, but by what? Mercy? A short attention span? Hunger? 他们没有杀我，但他们为什么这么做呢？是仁慈？是因为时间太紧而顾不上来？还是因为饥饿？