in-=negative(否定)=not 变化型 en-,i-,im-,ir-
adj extremely large 巨大的; 广大的
*immense difficulties, problems, possibilities, etc 巨大的困难、问题、可能性等
* of immense importance 极为重要的.
1400-1500; Language: French;Origin:Latin
immensus, from mensus 'measured'
= enormous People who travel by rail still read an immense amount. Regular visits from a social worker can be of immense value to old people living alone.
1. That is an immense building. 那是一座巨大的建筑物。
2. The potency of the nature is immense. 大自然的力量是无穷的。
3. The currents of air that the walls of the ship direct upwards, as well as in the line of its course, are enough to give the great bird with its immense wings sufficient sustenance and progress. 沿船体的上升的气流和沿航线向前的气流给这种巨翼大鸟以足够的浮力和推力。
4. The Titanic turned just in time, narrowly missing the immense wall of ice which rose over 100 feet out of the water beside her. "泰坦尼克"这个弯拐得及时，紧贴着高出海面100英尺的巨大的冰墙擦过去。
5. The towers are built on immense underwater platforms made of steel and concrete. 塔身建在巨大的水下钢盘混凝土平台上。
6. This immense chasm has been formed by an underground stream which has tunnelled a course through a flaw in the rocks. 这个深邃的洞穴是由一条地下暗泉冲刷岩石中的缝隙并使之慢慢变大而形成的。
7. The identification of even one gene does, however, have immense implications for the genetics/environment debate. 不过，哪怕辩出一个基因对于遗传与环境之争也是意义重大的。
8. The announcement amounted to an extraordinary reversal for Euro Disney, which opened amid immense celebration and widespread predictions of immediate success. 这一宣布等于是说欧洲迪斯尼的情况出现了罕见的逆转。当初它在一片欢呼声中开张，并被普遍看好会立即获得成功。
9. As a great many people will be visiting the country, the government will be building new hotels, an immense stadium, and a new Olympic-standard swimming pool. 由于将有大批的人到我们国家来，所以政府准备建造一些新的饭店、一个大型体育场和一个新的奥运会标准游泳池。
10. It is not only of immense size, but is extremely accurate as well. 它不仅巨大而且走时极其准确。