1 [U] ~ (to sb/sth) being important; significance or value 重要性; 重大; 有价值
*the importance of industry to the economy 工业对经济的重要性
* They attached very great importance to the project, ie They considered it to be very important. 他们对这项目极为重视.
* a matter of the utmost political importance 有重大政治意义的事情
* These issues now assume even greater importance. 这些问题现在就显得更加重要了.
2 (idm 习语) full of one's own importance => full.
n [singular, U]
the quality of being important
the importance of sth
the importance of regular exercise
The fur trade now exceeded timber in importance .
Hindus attach great importance to food preparation. (=it is very important to them)
great/growing/paramount etc importance
The men were on a mission of vital importance to their country.
of primary/secondary/equal importance
Sometimes we forget that the media coverage of a sport is actually of secondary importance to the event itself.
I agree about the importance of these proposals (=the reasons why they are important) .
Just being in the studio gave her a sense of importance (=she felt important) .
1. We all know the importance of laying a solid foundation in everything we do, and in language study perhaps more than in anything else, a good beginning is half the battle. 我们都知道，无论做什么事，重要的是要打下坚实的基础。语言学习尤其如此。俗说话：好的开端是成功的一半。
2. This latter point was of great importance. 后面这点极为重要。
3. The fact of first-rate importance is the predominant role that custom plays in experience and in belief, and the very great varieties it may manifest. 最重要的是，风俗在实践中和信仰上所起的举足轻重的作用，以及它所表现出来的极其丰富多采的形式。
4. The cultivation of a hobby and new forms of interest is therefore a policy of the first importance to a public man. 因此，对一个从事社会活动的人来说，培养一种业余爱好和各种新的兴趣是关等重要的作法。
5. This is of extreme importance when trying to analyze the direction-taking or decision-making process. 在对其取向或决策过程进行分析时，这一点尤为重要。
6. The theme that families are changing in similar ways, even in very different cultures, should bring about new thinking on social policy, experts say, and in particular an increase in the importance of families in the agenda of governments. 专家说，即使在差异很大的文化里，家庭改变的方式也类似，这一看法应当促使人们重新思考社会政策，政府的议事日程尤其应该更多地考虑家庭问题。
7. Thoreau had his own self-importance for company. 梭罗以自尊自重为伴。
8. The importance of this trait to success was shown in an experiment begun in the 1960s by Walter Mischel at a preschool on the Stanford University campus. 有一个实验说明了这一特性对成功的重要意义。实验是20世纪60年代由沃尔特·米歇尔在斯坦福大学校园内的一所幼儿园里做的。
9. The importance of good people skills was demonstrated by Robert Kelley of Carnegie-Mellon University and Janet Caplan in a study at Bell Labs. 卡内基-梅隆大学的罗伯特·凯利和珍妮特·卡普兰在贝尔实验室的一个研究说明了良好的交往能力的重要性。
10. He exaggerated the importance of the event. 他夸大了事件的重要性。