1 that cannot be done or exist; not possible 不可能做到或存在的; 不可能的
*It's impossible for me to be there before 8.00p.m. 要我晚上8点之前赶到那儿是根本办不到的.
* It is virtually impossible to predict the future accurately. 精确预言未来的事实际上是办不到的.
* an almost impossible task 几乎无法完成的任务
* It's an impossible story, ie it cannot be believed. 这不可能是真事.
2 very difficult to bear; hopeless 难以忍受的; 无希望的
*an impossible situation 绝境
* Their son is impossible, eg He is very badly behaved. 他们的儿子无可救药（他品行极坏）.
1. But that´s impossible. 但这是不可能的。
2. But it is impossible to honour her with the award." 但她不能享受艺术奖学金之荣誉。”
3. But when this was worked through, I found it still impossible to stir the canoe. 但是，完工后，我发现还是挪动不了木舟。
4. But even when both parties have signed such an agreement, it can be impossible to enforce it in court if proper guidelines have not been followed. 但是，即使双方签署了这样的协议，如果不遵循正确的指导方针，还是不可能在法院实施它。
5. For it is impossible to foretell the exact nature of the difficulties which will confront the pot-holer. 因为无法预见到洞穴探险者究竟会遇到什么性质的困难。
6. When he died, however, his brothers found it impossible to keep the secret any longer. 他死后，他的弟弟们才觉得无法再保守这个秘密了。
7. When snow or ice was on the ground, it was impossible for him to walk, even with help. 当路上覆盖冰雪时，即使有人搀扶，他也难以行走。
8. Word last week that a scientist named Ian Wilmut had succeeded in cloning an adult mammal — an achievement long thought impossible — caught the imagination of everyone. 上周有消息说，一位名叫伊恩·威尔莫特的科学家已经成功地克隆了一只成年哺乳动物，而这项成就长期以来被认为是不可能的。
9. The Cutty Sark rolled from side to side and it became impossible to steer her. 船身左右摇晃，无法操纵。
10. Though the new rudder was fitted at tremendous speed, it was impossible for the Cutty Sark to win. 尽管换装新舵时分秒必争，但"卡蒂萨克"号已经不可能取胜了，