n ~ (to sb/sth)
(a) physical harm to a living being （对生物体的）伤害, 损害
*Excessive dosage of this drug can result in injury to the liver. 这种药使用过量会损害肝脏.
* a person prone to injury, ie one who is easily or often injured 易受损伤的人.
(b) (fig 比喻) damage (to sb's feelings, reputation, etc) （对感情、名誉等的）损害
*injury to one's pride 自尊心的挫伤.
2 [C] instance of harm to one's body or reputation （对身体或名誉的）伤害, 损害
*In the crash he suffered severe injuries to the head and arms. 在事故中他头部和双臂受了重伤.
* an eye injury 眼睛受伤
* (fig 比喻) injuries to one's reputation 对个人名声的败坏. 3(idm 习语) add insult to injury => add. do sb/oneselfan `injury (often joc 常作戏谑语) cause sb/oneself (physical) harm 使（某人[自己]）受（身体的）伤害
*If you try and lift that suitcase you'll do yourself an injury! 要提起那只箱子, 你就要受伤了!
1300-1400; Language: Latin;Origin:
injuria, from jus 'right, law'
] [U and C]
a wound or damage to part of your body caused by an accident or attack She was taken to hospital with serious head injuries . He suffered horrific injuries in the attack. The driver of the truck sustained only minor injuries to his legs and arms. Luckily she escaped injury . Beckham has missed several games through injury . The pilot was treated for suspected internal injuries . Don't lift that toolbox - you'll do yourself an injury ! He's a lawyer who specializes in personal injury claims .[U]law
damage to someone's feelingsinjury to He claimed serious injury to his reputation.
→add insult to injuryatadd
COLLOCATES for sense 1serious injuryminor injurysuffer an injurysustain an injury
(=suffer an injury - used especially in newspaper reports) escape/avoid injury
(=not be injured) through injury
(=because of injury) head/leg/shoulder etc injuryan injury to the head/the chest etcinternal injuries
(=injuries inside your body) multiple injuries
(=a large number of injuries at the same time) do yourself an injuryBritish English spoken
(=accidentally hurt yourself - used especially when warning someone to be careful) personal injury claim
(=a legal claim made against the person or company that caused your injury)
1. Wash the speck out without injury to your eyes. 把微粒洗出来，但不能损伤眼睛。
2. The player´s injury incapacitated him for participating in the football match . 运动员的伤势使得他无法参加足球比赛.
3. Smoking is an injury to health. 吸烟对身体有害。