1 [U] ~ (in sth) process of teaching; knowledge or teaching given （对知识的）教授, 传授; （传授的）知识; 教导
*In this course, students receive instruction in basic engineering. 在本课程中, 学生能学到基础工程学的知识.
2 [C] ~ (to do sth/that...)
(a) order or direction given 命令; 指令; 指示
*leave, give detailed instructions 留下、给予详细指令
* understand, carry out an instruction 理解、执行命令.
(b) (computing 计) word, code, etc that, when input into a computer, makes it perform a particular operation （输入计算机的）指令.
3 instructions [pl] ~ (to do sth/that...) statements telling sb what he should or must do 用法说明; 操作指南; 吩咐; 命令
*follow the instructions on a tin of paint, in a car repair manual, etc 依照颜料桶上的用法说明、按照汽车维修手册的操作指示
* My instructions are that I am not to let anyone in, ie I have been ordered not to. 我得到吩咐不让任何人入内.
* instructions to a lawyer 给律师的指示.
the written information that tells you how to do or use something
→directions Install the machine according to the manufacturer's instructions . Press enter and follow the on-screen instructions .instructions for Both products come with detailed instructions for use.instructions on (how to do) sth Are there any instructions on how to plant the trees?instruction book/manual/leaflet etc Read the instruction book carefully. [C usually plural]
a statement telling someone what they must do
→ordersinstructions to do sth He had specific instructions to check everyone's identity cards.instructions that Mrs Edwards gave instructions that she was not to be disturbed.on sb's instructions
(=having been told by someone to do something) On the landlord's instructions, the barmaid refused to serve him. My instructions are (=I have been told) to give the package to him personally. Make sure you carry out the doctor's instructions .be under instruction to do sth
(=have been told to do something) The police were under instruction to fire if necessary.[U]formal
teaching that you are given in a particular skill or subject religious instruction driving instructioninstruction in The school gives instruction in First Aid.under instruction
(=being taught) This group of trainees is still under instruction.
HINT sense 1
Do not say 'instructions how to do something' or 'instructions to do something'. Say instructions on how to do something.
1. Education, with its cycles of instruction so carefully worked out, punctuated by textbooks----those purchasable wells of wisdom----what would civilization be like without its benefits? 教育，以其教学周期如此精心地安排，并以教科书 -- 那些可以买到的智慧源泉 -- 予以强化，如果不受其惠，文明将会是个什么样子呢？
2. This is instruction about the machine. 这是那机器的说明.
3. The new members of the class received supplemental instruction. 班里的新成员补了课。
4. The new members of the class received supplementary instruction. 班里的新成员补了课。
5. Here only oral instruction; there not only that, but textbooks, dictionaries and visual aids. 一边只是口头讲解；另一边不仅如此，还有教科书、字典和直观教具。
6. In primitive cultures the obligation to seek and to receive the traditional instruction is binding to all. 在原始文化中，寻求和接受传统教育的义务对全民都有约束力。