inter-=between,among 变化型 enter-,intel-
1 ~ (between sth)
(a) time between two events （两事件中的）间隔时间
*the interval between a flash of lightning and the sound of thunder 闪电和雷声之间的间隙
* go out, and return after an interval of half an hour 出去, 隔半小时再回来.
(b) space between two or more things （物体之间的）间隔空间
*They planted trees in the intervals between the houses. 他们在房子与房子之间种上了树.
2 (Brit) short period of time separating parts of a play, film, concert, etc （戏剧、电影、音乐会等的）幕间休息, 中间休息
*an interval of
15 minutes after the second act 第二幕之後的十五分钟幕间休息.
3 pause; break in activity 停顿; 中断
*an interval of silence to show respect for the dead 向死者致敬的片刻默哀
* He returned to work after an interval in hospital. 他住院一段时间以後又回来上班了. =>Usage at break2 用法见break2.
4 (esp pl 尤作复数) limited period during which sth occurs （某事发生的）一段时间
*sunny/showery intervals, ie non-continuous periods of sunshine/rain 间中放晴[有雨]的一段一段时间
* She's delirious, but has lucid intervals. 她神志昏乱, 但时而清醒.
5 (music 音) difference in pitch between two notes 音程
*an interval of one octave 一个八度音程.
6 (idm 习语) at intervals
(a) with time between 每隔...时间; 间或; 不时; 时而
*At intervals she would stop for a rest. 她不时停下来休息.
* He comes back to see us at regular intervals. 他每隔一段时间就回 来看看我们.
* The runners started at 5-minute intervals. 赛跑的人每隔五分钟出发一批.
(b) with spaces between 每隔...距离
*The trees were planted at
20 ft intervals. 这些树是每隔20英尺栽种一棵的.
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:
entreval, from Latin
intervallum 'space between castle walls, interval'
the period of time between two events, activities etc He left the room, returning after a short interval with a message.interval between The interval between arrest and trial can be up to six months.sunny/bright intervals
short periods of fine weather between cloudy, rainy weather etcat weekly/20 minute etc intervals
every week, 20 minutes etc The trains run at half-hourly intervals.at regular intervalsa)
something that happens at regular intervals happens often The phone rang at regular intervals all afternoon.b)
objects that are placed at regular intervals have all been placed at the same distance from each other Trees had been planted at regular intervals.BrE
a short period of time between the parts of a play, concert etc
American Equivalent: intermission We can get some drinks in the interval.technical
the amount of difference in pitch
between two musical notes
1. And by measuring the time interval between the taps and the receipt of the echoes, the depth of the sea at that point can be calculated. 测出回声间隔的时间，便可算出该处海洋的深度。
2. Despite their short time on Earth, however, people have brought about enormous changes to the surface of the planet — changes far out of proportion to the interval of time they have occupied it. 然而，尽管在地球上的时日尚短，人类却已给地球表面带来了巨大的变化——这些变化与人类占据地球的短暂时间相比，是远远不成比例的。
3. Some unknown interval of time passes before her eyes open again, only this time there is no response in them, just a blank stare. 不知过了多长时间，她又睁开了双眼，只是这一次目光里没有任何反应，只有空空的凝视。
4. Unfortunately, there is frequently a great interval between knowing how to solve a problem and finding the resources to solve it. 不幸的是，从知道怎样解决问题到准备充足的人力物力去解决它，两者之间还有很大的差距。