/ɪn'venʃn; ɪn`vɛnʃən/ n
(a) action of inventing 发明; 创造; 虚构; 捏造
*the invention of radio by Marconi 马可尼对无线电的发明
* a story of one's own invention, ie invented by oneself 自己杜撰的故事.
(b) capacity for inventing 发明或创造的才能; 虚构或捏造的能力.
(c) (euph 婉) making up of untrue or unreal things; lying 虚构; 捏造; 造假; 撒谎
*I'm afraid he is guilty of a good deal of invention. 我看他撒了很多谎.
2 [C] thing that is invented 发明物
*the scientific inventions of the 20th century 20世纪的科技发明.
3 (idm 习语) necessity is the mother of invention => necessity.
a useful machine, tool, instrument etc that has been invented
The dishwasher is a wonderful invention.
the act of inventing something
The invention of the computer has revolutionized the business world.
[U and C]
a story, explanation etc that is not true
They subsequently admitted that the story was pure invention.
the ability to think of new and clever ideas
With such powers of invention he should get a job easily.
1. Edwin Land, one of America's most productive inventors, claimed the idea leading to his invention of the Polaroid camera came from his three-year-old daughter. 美国最具创造力的发明家之一埃德温·兰德说，使他产生发明宝丽来相机这一想法的是他三岁的女儿。
2. But no one made much money on the invention until a Canadian businessman decided to call it a "zipper (拉链)". 但并没有人因此而发财。最后，一个加拿大商人决定给它起命为"拉链"。
3. With the invention of writing, a great advance was made, for knowledge could then be not only communicated but also stored. 随着书写的发明，又迈进了一大步，因为这样一来，知识不仅能交流，而且能储存了。
4. The personal computer revolution and the invention of the Internet made the demand for skilled labor mushroom to such tremendous proportions that even if every American child were to study nothing but science from now on, we would be unable to keep p 个人电脑革命和因特网的诞生导致了对熟练劳动者的需求猛增，以至从现在起即使每个美国孩子都去自然科学，我们在今后的几十年里还是无法赶上这种需求的增长速度。
5. His invention brought him glory. 他的发明给他带来了荣誉。
6. He applied for a patent on his invention. 他为他的发明申请了专利.
7. Sometimes I think my life is too comfortable. Why should I mother an invention if all my needs are met? 有时候我觉得生活已经太舒服了，所有的需求都满足了，干吗还要去做一项发明？
8. "Well, your general with his Clementina is an invention, and so is my man from Peoria." “嘿嘿，你的将军和他女儿克莱门蒂娜是瞎编的，我那位皮奥里亚人也一样。”
9. One of the greatest advances in modern technology has been the invention of computers. 现在最伟大的技术进展之一，是计算机的发明。
10. One can draw examples from genius in any field, from religion, philosophy, and literature to art and music, even in mathematics, science, and technical invention, although these are often thought to depend only on logic and experiment. 无论是宗教、哲学、文学，还是艺术、音乐，甚至数学、科学，以及技术发明，在任何领域的天才人物身上，我们都能找到这样的例子，虽然人们常常认为数学、科学，以及技术发明所依赖的仅仅是逻辑和实验。