n.接缝,接合处,接合点,关节,(牛、羊等的腿)大块肉 adj.共同的,联合的,连接的,合办的 vt.连接,接合,使有接头 vi.贴合,生节
动词过去式:jointed 过去分词:jointed 现在分词:jointing 第三人称单数:joints
1 structure in the body of an animal by which bones are fitted together 关节
*ankle, knee, elbow, etc joints 踝、膝、肘等关节
* suffer from stiff joints 患关节强直症.
2 place, line or surface at which two or more things are joined 连接处; 接缝; 接合面
*Check that the joints of the pipes are sealed properly. 检查一下管道的接口是否封严了.
3 any of the parts into which a butcher cuts an animal's carcass; this cooked and served as meat （生的或熟的）大块肉
*a joint of beef 一大块牛肉
* carve the Sunday joint 切开星期日吃的大块肉.
4 (sl derog 俚, 贬) low or shabby bar, club, etc; house or shop 下等的或破旧的酒吧、俱乐部等; 房子; 店 .
5 (sl 俚) cigarette containing marijuana 含大麻的香烟.
6 (idm 习语) case the joint => case2. out of joint
(a) (of bones) pushed out of position; dislocated （指骨）脱臼
*She fell and put her knee out of joint. 她摔得膝关节脱臼了.
(b) (fig 比喻) in disorder; disorganized 混乱; 紊乱
*The delays put the whole schedule out of joint. 一再的拖延打乱了全部安排. put sb's nose out of joint => nose1.
v [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态]
1 provide (sth) with a joint or joints 给（某物）装以活节或关节
*a jointed doll, fishing-rod 有活动关节的玩具娃娃、活动钓竿.
2 divide (a carcass) into joints or at the joints 将（屠宰後的动物）分割成大块或在关节处切开
*a jointed chicken 切成大块的鸡.
adj [attrib 作定语]
1 shared, held or done by two or more people together 共享的; 共有的; 共同做的
*a joint account, ie a bank account in the name of more than one person (eg husband and wife) 联合帐户（不止一人, 如夫妇, 共有的银行户头）
* joint ownership, responsibility, consultation 共同的所有权、责任、协商
* a joint effort 共同的努力.
2 sharing in an activity, a position, an achievement, etc 共同参与、持有或取得的
*joint authors, owners, winners, etc 合着者、共同持有者、同时获胜者.
1. The joint owners of the car argued whether the footbrake or the handbrake should be applied. 合资的车主们在争论着应该用脚刹车还是用手刹车.
2. The joint owners of the car argued whether the footbrake or the handbrake should be applied. 而合资的车主们还在争论着应该用脚刹车还是用手刹车.
3. Many new structures are built with a new type of steel joint, an I-joint, which appears to be the most durable type of joint. 许多新式结构都采用了一种新型的钢接合方法，即I形接合，它看起来是种最耐用的接合。