Could you keep these letters for me, please? 你能替我保存这些信吗？
I'll keep a seat for you.我给你留个座位。
It can help to keep vegetables, fruit and meat for a long time in hot summer. 在炎热的夏天，它有助于蔬菜、水果和肉类长时间保鲜。
Can you keep a secret? 你能保守秘密吗？
She kept her sister for a week while her sister was ill.她妹妹有病时，她照看她了一个星期。
I have a family to keep.我得养活一家人。
You can keep the pen if you like it.你要是喜欢就把钢笔留下吧。
Keep the change.不用找零钱了。
Everyone must keep the rules. 人人必须遵守规章制度。
The teacher is keeping order in class.老师正在课堂上维持秩序。
The shop keeps everything you need.那家商店里出售的东西应有尽有。
He keeps everything you will drink.他出售你想喝的各种饮料。
She keeps a diary every day.她坚持每天记日记。
He keeps exact accounts of the money he spends and a diary of the events of his holidays.他详细地记载他所花的钱数和假期中所发生的事情。
We should keep our classroom clean and tidy.(形容词)我们应保持教室整洁干净。
You'd better keep the child away from the fire.(副词)你最好让孩子离火远一点。
The bad weather keeps us inside the house.(介词短语)坏天气使我们不能出门。
Don't keep me waiting for long.(现在分词)别让我等太久。
The other students in the class keep their eyes closed.(过去分词)班上其他同学都闭着眼睛。
You must look after yourself and keep healthy.(形容词)你必须照顾好自己，保持身体健康。
Keep off the grass.(副词)请勿践踏草地。
Traffic in Britain keeps to the left.(介词短语)英国的交通是靠左边行驶的。
She knew she must keep calm.她知道她必须保持镇静。
Please keep silent in class.课堂上请保持安静。
Would you keep your dog away from my boy, please? 请把狗拉得离我孩子远点好吗？
Keep everybody away from the accident.人人远离事故！
She sat down quietly, but she couldn't keep
back her tears.她静静地坐下来，却忍不住流下了眼泪。
Keep together, please.请聚在一起。
The eight men kept together during the boat race as though they were one.赛船时，这8个人动作协调，好像一个人似的。
The noise kept up all night.噪音整夜持续着。
To keep your strength up, eat well and get enough sleep.为了保持力气，要吃好、睡足。
5.keep up with意为"跟上；和……来往"。如：
I'm trying my best to keep up with the others in class.我正在设法赶上班里的其他人。
Do you still keep up with Tom? 你和汤姆还有联系吗？
The teacher asked us to keep these sentences in mind.老师要我们把这些句子记在心里。
1.keep doing sth. 意为"继续干某事"，表示不间断地持续干某事，keep后不能接不定式或表示静止状态的v-ing形式，而必须接延续性的动词。如：
He kept working all day, because he wanted to finish the work on time.他整天都在不停地工作，因为他想准时完成工作。
Keep passing the ball to each other, and you'll be OK.坚持互相传球，你们就行。
2.keep on doing sth. 意为"持续做某事"。如：
The pupil kept on asking me the same question.这个学生不断地问我同一个问题。
I kept on thinking about the match in the afternoon.我总是想起下午的那场比赛。
3. keep...from doing sth.意为"阻止/防止……做某事"。如：
The heavy snow kept us from going out.大雪使我们不能出去。
v (pt, pp kept / kept; kZpt/)
1 (a) [La, Ipr, Ip] continue to be in the specified condition or position; remain or stay 继续处于某状态或地位; 留下; 保留
*She has the ability to keep calm in an emergency. 她有处变不惊的本事.
* Please keep quiet -- I'm trying to get some work done. 请安静--我要处理一些工作.
* You ought to keep indoors with that heavy cold. 你患重感冒应该留在屋里.
* The notice said `Keep off (ie Do not walk on) the grass'. 布告牌上写着｀勿踏草地＇.
* Keep back! The building could collapse at any moment. 别靠近! 那建筑物随时可能倒塌.
(b) [Ip] ~ (on) doing sth continue doing sth; do sth repeatedly or frequently 继续做某事物; 重复做某事物
*keep eating, laughing, smiling, walking 一直在吃、笑、微笑、走
* Keep (on) talking amongst yourselves, I'll be back in a minute. 你们继续谈, 我一会儿就回来.
* How can I trust you if you keep lying to me? 你要是一直欺骗我, 我怎么能相信你呢?
* I do wish you wouldn't keep interrupting me! 希望你别老来打扰我!
* My shoe laces keep (on) coming undone. 我的鞋带总是松开.
* Keep going (ie Do not stop) until you reach a large roundabout. 继续走就走到一个宽阔的环状交叉路口了.
* This is exhausting work, but I manage to keep going somehow. 这个工作很费力气, 但是我尽量设法做下去.
(c) [Ipr, Ip] continue to move in the specified direction 继续朝某方向前进
*Traffic in Britain keeps to the left, ie drives on the left-hand side of the road. 在英国, 车辆靠左行驶.
* Keep straight on until you get to the church. 一直朝前走就走到教堂了.
* The sign says `Keep Left', so I don't think we can turn right here. 路标上写着｀靠左行＇, 我想不能从这儿向右拐.
2 [Tn.pr, Tn.p, Cn.a, Cn.g] cause sb/sth to remain in the specified condition or position 使某人[某事物]保持某状态或某地位
*If your hands are cold, keep them in your pockets. 要是手冷, 就揣在口袋里.
* Extra work kept him (late) at the office. 他因有额外的工作, （很晚）仍留在办公室里.
* Don't keep us in suspense any longer -- what happens at the end of the story? 别再让我们蒙在鼓里了, 结局究竟怎么样?
* keep sb amused, cheerful, happy, etc 使某人一直高兴、快乐、幸福等
* These gloves will keep your hands warm. 这种手套保暖好.
* Give the baby her bottle; that'll keep her quiet for a while. 把瓶子给孩子, 那就能让她安静一会儿.
* He's in a coma and is being kept alive by a life-support machine. 他处于昏迷状态, 靠生命维持器活着.
* I'm sorry to keep you waiting. 对不起, 让您久等了.
* Add some more coal to keep the fire going. 再添些煤, 别让火灭了.
3 [Tn] detain or delay (sb) 留住或耽搁（某人）
*You're an hour late; what kept you? 你晚了一小时, 是什么事给耽误了? Cf 参看 keep sb from sth/doing sth.
(a) continue to have (sth); retain 保有, 留下（某物）
*You can keep that book I lent you; I don't want it back. 我借给你的那本书你可以留下, 不用还我.
* Here's a five-pound note -- you can keep the change. 这是五镑的钞票--零钱不用找了.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr, Dn.n] ~ sth (for sb) look after sth (for sb); retain sth （为某人）照顾某事物; 保留某事物
*Could you keep my place in the queue (for me)(ie prevent anybody else from taking it)? 我排在队里的位置可以给我留着吗?
* Please keep me a place in the queue. 排队时请给我占个位置.
(c) [Tn, Tn.pr] have (sth) in a particular place; store 在某处存放（某物）; 贮藏
*Where do you keep the cutlery? 你的餐具在哪里?
* We haven't enough shelves to keep all our books on. 我们的书架不够用, 放不下这么多书.
* Always keep your driving licence in a safe place. 驾驶执照一定要妥善保管.
(d) [Tn] retain (sth) for future use or reference 保留（某物）（以备日後之需）
*These trousers are so worn they're hardly worth keeping. 这条裤子磨损得很厉害, 不必再留着了.
* Let's not eat all the sandwiches now -- we can keep some for later. 咱们别把三明治都吃光--可以留些过後再吃.
* I keep all her letters. 我保留着她全部的信.
5 [Tn] own and manage (a shop, restaurant, etc) 经营, 开设（商店、饭馆等）
*Her father kept a grocer's shop for a number of years. 她父亲开了几年杂货店.
* He plans to keep a pub when he retires. 他打算退休後开酒馆.
6 [Tn] own and look after (animals) for one's use or enjoyment （为自用或消遣）饲养（动物）
*keep bees, goats, hens, etc 饲养蜂、羊、鸡等.
7 [Tn] have (sth) regularly on sale or in stock 经销、销售或储存（某物）
*`Do you sell Turkish cigarettes?' `I'm sorry, we don't keep them.' ｀你们卖土耳其香烟吗?＇｀对不起, 我们不卖那种香烟.＇
8 [Tn] not reveal (a secret) 保守（秘密）
*Can you keep a secret? ie If I tell you one, can I be sure that you will not tell it to sb else? 我想告诉你一件事, 你能保密吗?
9 [I] (of food) remain in good condition （指食物）保持不坏
*Do finish off the fish pie; it won't keep. 鱼馅糕饼留不住, 都吃了吧.
* (fig 比喻) The news will keep, ie can be told later rather than immediately. 这消息可容後宣布. 10[I] (used with an adv, or in questions after how 与副词连用或用于疑问句中的how之後) be in the specified state of health 处于某种健康状况
*`How are you keeping?' `I'm keeping well, thanks.' ｀你身体好吗?＇｀很好, 谢谢.＇
(a) make written entries in (sth) 在（某物）上作书面记载
*She kept a diary for over twenty years. 她写日记已二十多年.
(b) write down (sth) as a record 记录（某事）
*keeping an account/a record of what one spends each week 记录每周的开支.
12 [Tn] provide what is necessary for (sb); support (sb) financially 供给（某人）必需品; 经济上支持（某人）
*He scarcely earns enough to keep himself and his family. 他挣的钱难以维持全家人的生活.
13 (a) [Tn] guard or protect (sth) 守卫或把守（某物）
*keep goal, ie in football 守球门（足球的）
* keep wicket, ie in cricket 守三柱门（板球的）. Cf 参看 goalkeeper (goal), wicket-keeper (wicket).
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb (from sth) (fml 文) protect sb (from sth) 保护或保佑某人
*May the Lord bless you and keep you, ie used in prayers in the Christian Church 愿上帝祝福你、保佑你（用于基督教会的祈祷）
* She prayed to God to keep her son from harm. 她祈祷上帝保佑儿子平安.
14 [Tn] be faithful to (sth); respect or observe 忠于（某事物）; 尊重; 遵守
*keep an appointment, the law, a promise, a treaty 遵守约会、法律、诺言、条约.
15 (idm 习语) ,keep it `up maintain a high standard of achievement 保持优秀成绩
*Excellent work, Cripps keep it up! 克里普斯, 你干得真好--要保持下去! ,keep up with the `Joneses/ 5dVEUnzIz; `dVonzIz/ (infml often derog 口, 常作贬义) try to maintain the same social and material standards as one's neighbours 要在地位和物质方面比得上周围的人. (For other idioms containing keep, see entries for ns, adjs, etc 与keep搭配的其他习语见有关名词、形容词等的词条, 如 keep house => house1; keep the ball rolling => ball1.)
16 (phr v) keep (sb) at sth (cause sb to) continue to work at sth （使某人）继续做某事
*Come on, keep `at it, you've nearly finished! 加油, 别松劲, 你眼看就完成了!
* The teacher kept us at our `work all morning. 老师让我们做了一上午的功课.
1 [U] (cost of providing) food and other necessities of life 食物等生活必需品; 生活费
*It's time you got a job and started paying for your keep! 你该找份工作, 负担自己的生活费了!
* (fig 比喻) Does that old car still earn its keep? ie Is it useful enough to be worth the cost of keeping it? 那辆旧汽车还值得维修吗?
2 [C] strongly built tower of an ancient castle 古代城堡中的强固主楼.
3 (idm 习语) for `keeps (infml 口) permanently; for ever 永远地; 永久地
*Can I have it for keeps or do you want it back? 我可以永久保留它呢还是要我还给你?