/lɑ:st; [US] læst; læst/
1 coming after all others in time or order 最後的; 末尾的
*December is the last month of the year. 十二月是一年的最後一个月份.
* the last Sunday in June 六月的最後一个星期日
* the last time I saw her 我上次看见她的时候
* the last two/the two last people to arrive 最後到达的两个人. Cf 参看 first1 1.
2 [attrib 作定语] latest; most recent （指过去）最近的, 上一个的; 刚过去的
*last night, week, month, summer, year, etc 昨晚、上周、上月、刚过去的夏季、去年
* last Tuesday/on Tuesday last 刚过去的星期二
* in/for/during the last fortnight, few weeks, two decades, etc 在过去的两周、几星期、二十年等
* I thought her last book was one of her best. 我认为她最近出版的那本书是她的最佳著作之一. =>Usage at late1 用法见late1.
3 [esp attrib 尤作定语] only remaining; final 唯一剩下的; 最终的
*This is our last bottle of wine. 这是我们最後的一瓶葡萄酒了.
* He knew this was his last hope of winning. 他知道这是他获胜的唯一希望了.
* I wouldn't marry you if you were the last person on earth. 即使世上就剩下你一个人, 我也不会和你结婚.
4 least likely or suitable 最不可能的; 最不适合的
*the last thing I'd expect him to do 我最不希望他做的事
* She's the last person to trust with a secret. 她是最不可能保密的人.
5 (idm 习语) at one's last `gasp making one's final effort or attempt before exhaustion or death 垂死挣扎; 最後拚搏
*The team were at their last gasp when the whistle went. 球队正作最後拚搏, 这时哨声响了. be on one's/its last `legs be weak or in poor condition 危殆; 糟糕
*My car's on its last legs -- it keeps breaking down. 我的汽车快不行了--总出毛病. the day,week, month, etc before last the day, etc immediately before the most recent one; two days, etc ago 两天、两星期、两月等之前
*I haven't seen him since the Christmas before last. 前年圣诞节过後我一直没见过他. draw one's first/last breath => draw2. every last/single `one, etc every person or thing (in a group) included （一群人或物中的）每一个, 全部
*We spent every last penny we had on the house. 我们的钱全部用在房子上了. famous last words => famous. first/last/next but one, two, three, etc => first1. first/last thing => thing. have the last `laugh triumph over one's rivals, critics, etc in the end （对竞争者、批评者等）取得最後胜利. have, etc the last `word make, etc the final and decisive contribution to an argument, a dispute, etc （辩论等中）作最後一次发言, 最终决定, 最後裁决, 定论等
*We can all make suggestions, but the manager has the last word. 我们谁都可以提建议, 但经理最後说了算. in the last/final analysis => analysis. in the last re`sort; (as) a/one's last re`sort (person or thing one turns to) when everything else has failed 最後手段; 最後的凭藉
*In the last resort we can always walk home. 大不了我们走回家就是了.
* I've tried everyone else and now you're my last resort. 别人我都试过了, 现在就看你的了. one's last/dying breath => breath. the ,last `ditch the last effort one can make to ensure one's safety, avoid defeat, etc （为确保安全或避免失败等所能做的）最後拚搏
*[attrib 作定语] a ,last-ditch `stand 背水一战的立场. the last `minute/`moment the latest possible time before an important event, etc （重大事件等前的）最後一刻
*change one's plans at the last minute 事到临头改变计画
* We always leave our packing to/till the last moment. 我们总是到临行前才收拾行李.
* [attrib 作定语] a last-minute dash for the train 为赶火车的奔忙. the last `lap final stage of a journey, contest,project, etc （旅行、比赛、工程等）最後阶段
*We're on the last lap, so don't slacken! 我们已处最後阶段, 可不要松劲啊! the last/final straw => straw. the last `word (in sth) most recent, fashionable, advanced, etc thing 最新、最时髦、最先进等的事物
*Ten years ago this dress was considered the last word in elegance. 十年前这种连衣裙还算是最高雅的款式呢. the last `word (on sth) definitive statement, account, etc 权威性的言论、说法等
*a book which may fairly claim to be the last word on the subject 堪称该课题权威性的书. say/be one's last `word (on sth) give/be one's final opinion or decision 做出[成为]决定
*I've said my last word -- take it or leave it. 我的意见已经说过了--听不听请便.
* I hope that's not your last word on the subject. 我希望这不是你对该问题的最後决定. to a man/to the last man => man. a week last Monday, etc => week.
1 the ~ (of sb/sth) (pl unchanged 复数不变) person or thing that is last or mentioned last 最後的或最後提到的人或事物
*These are the last of our apples. 我们就剩下这些苹果了.
* We invited Bill, Tom and Sue -- the last being Bill's sister. 我们请了比尔、汤姆和休--最後提到的这位是比尔的妹妹.
2 (idm 习语) at (long) `last after (much) delay, effort, etc; in the end 经过（种种）延误、努力等; 终于
*At last we were home! 我们终于到家了!
* At long last a compromise was agreed on. 通过互让最终达成折衷协议. breathe one's last => breathe. from first to last => first3. hear/see the last of sb/sth
(a) hear/see sb/sth for the last time 最後一次听到[见到]某人[某事物]
*That was the last I ever saw of her. 那是我最後一次见到她.
(b) not have to deal with or think about sb/sth again 不必再与某人[某事物]打交道; 不必再考虑某人[某事物]
*It would be a mistake to assume we've heard the last of this issue. 别以为我们不再过问这事. to/till the `last consistently, until the last possible moment (esp death) 坚持到底, 直到最後一刻（尤指直到死）
*He died protesting his innocence to the last. 他至死都坚称自己无罪.
/lɑ:st; [US] læst; læst/ adv
1 after all others 在最後
*He came last in the race. 他赛跑落得了最後.
* This country ranks last in industrial output. 这个国家的工业生产排名最後. Cf 参看 first2.
2 on the occasion before the present time; most recently 最近一次; 上次
*I saw him last/last saw him in New York two years ago. 我上次见到他是两年前在纽约.
* They last defeated England in 1972. 他们最近一次战胜英格兰队是在1972年.
3 (idm 习语) first and last => first2. he who laughs last laughs longest => laugh. ,last but not `least (used before the final item in a list 列举时用于最後一项之前) last but no less important(ly) than the others 最後的但同样重要的
*And last but not least there is the question of adequate funding. 最後同样重要的是要有足够的资金的问题. ,last `in, ,first `out those most recently employed, included, etc will be the first to be dismissed, excluded, etc if such action should become necessary 後来者先走（必要时首先解雇、排除新来者）
*The firm will apply the principle of `last in, first out'. 公司将实行｀後来者先走＇的原则.
/lɑ:st; [US] læst; læst/ v
1 [I, In/pr] ~ (for) sth continue for a period of time; endure 延续; 持续; 维持; 持久
*The pyramids were really built to last. 建造金字塔为的是要与日月齐光.
* How long do you think this fine weather will last? 你看这样的好天气能持续多久?
* She won't last long in that job it's too tough. 她做那件工作坚持不了多久--那工作太困难.
* The war lasted (for) five years. 战争持续了五年.
2 [I, Ip, In/pr] ~ (out); ~ (for) sth be adequate or enough 足够维持
*Will the petrol last (out) till we reach London? 我们的汽油够开到伦敦的吗?
* enough food to last (us) three days 足够我们维持三天的食物. =>Usage at take1 用法见take1.
3 [no passive 不用于被动语态
*Tn, Tn.p] ~ sth (out) be strong enough to survive or endure sth 活下来; 忍受得住; 支撑得了
*He's very ill and probably won't last (out) the night, ie will probably die before the morning. 他病得很厉害, 可能活不过今晚.
/lɑ:st; [US] læst; læst/ n
1 block of wood or metal shaped like a foot, used in making and repairing shoes 鞋楦.
2 (idm 习语) stick to one's last => stick2.