n [pl] things remaining when the rest is finished, esp food at the end of a meal; leavings 残存物;剩余物; （尤指）残羹剩饭. =>Usage at rest3 用法见rest3.
1. Every morning, he left home dressed in a smart black suit. 每天早晨，他穿上一身漂亮的黑色西装离家上班，
2. Every time a packet left her hands, the hateful yellow face of the officer who had taken her son away flared up in her mind. 每当一小捆传单从她手中发出去时，她的脑海中就会闪现出那个把她儿子带走的军官那张可恶的黄色的脸。
3. But it was left to scientists of our own time to develop powerful killers of these hateful micro-organisms. 但是，研制消灭这些可恶微生物的特效药的责任落在了当代科学家的肩上。
4. By the time we've reached Vancouver, there are very few people left on the train. 到温哥华的时候，车上只剩下稀稀拉拉的几个人。
5. But dependent children can't just be left behind when it's time to move on to a new relationship: 但在建立新关系的同时不能不考虑尚未独立的孩子。
6. For the simple reason that I was left with several curiously shaped bits of metal which did not seem to fit anywhere. 原因很简单，因为还剩下几个形状奇特的零件似乎哪里也装不上去。
7. Wheels left grooves in a muddy dirt road . 车轮在泥泞的路上留下凹痕。
8. When she left, Aqiao took some silkworm eggs and a bag of mulberry seeds with her. 临走的时候, 阿巧带了一些蚕卵和一袋桑籽.
9. We are standing on the left. 我们站在左边.
10. Was the philosopher who refused to look through Galileo´s telescope more culpable than those who alleged that the spiral nebulae observed with Lord Rosse´s great telescope in the eighteen-forties were scratches left by the grinder? 某位哲学家曾拒绝使用伽利略的望远镜去观察天空；到了19世纪40年代，有人硬把罗斯勋爵高倍望远镜观测到的螺旋状星云说成是磨镜工留下的磨痕。难道反对伽利略的哲学家比诋毁罗斯勋爵造谣者应受到更大的谴责吗？