1 duration of sb's life or sth's existence （人的）一生; （事物的）存在期
*a lifetime of service 使用年限
* In your lifetime you must have seen many changes. 人的一生中一定目睹很多变革.
* [attrib 作定语] a lifetime subscription (to a magazine, etc) 长期订阅（某杂志等）.
2 (idm 习语) the chance, etc of a `lifetime an exceptional opportunity, etc 千载难逢的好机会等
*Book now for the holiday of a lifetime! 为机会难再的假日现在立即预订!
n [C usually singular]
the period of time during which someone is alive or something exists
→lifespanduring/in sb's lifetime During her lifetime she had witnessed two world wars. It's the sort of opportunity you see only once in a lifetime .the chance/experience etc of a lifetime
the best opportunity, experience etc that you will ever have It was the holiday of a lifetime.not in this lifetimespoken
not at all
= never 'Would you go out with him after he dropped you?' 'Not in this lifetime.'
1. Though your parents probably meant your name to last a lifetime, remember that when they picked it they'd hardly met you, and the hopes and dreams they valued when they chose it may not match yours. 虽然你父母很可能打算让你的名字一辈子用下去，但记住, 他们选这个名字的时侯，也许还没有见过你呢。
2. He was offered a lifetime professorship. 他被聘为终身教授。
3. Haroun Tazieff, the Polish scientist, has spent his lifetime studying active volcanoes and deep caves in all parts of the world. 波兰科学家哈罗恩.塔捷耶夫花了毕生的精力来研究世界各地的活火山和探洞。
4. During the duration of one human lifetime, not many things change. 人的一生中，不会有很多东西发生变化。
5. Many people have a rather acute sense of the shortness of each lifetime. 许多人都深感人生的短暂。
6. I do not expect the millennium to come during my lifetime. 我并不指望我这一生中能碰上太平盛世。
7. In his own lifetime Galileo was the centre of violent controversy; 伽利略在世时是激烈论战的中心。
8. In the course of his lifetime he wrote thousands and thousands of letters. 在他的一生中，他写了上千封信。
9. Finding a spouse with whom we can spend a lifetime has always been an important concern. 找到能厮守终身的配偶始终是人们关切的一件大事。