n.举起,电梯,起重机,搭车 vt.升高,提高,举起,空运 vi.升起,(指雾等)消散,耸立
名词:lifter 动词过去式:lifted 过去分词:lifted 现在分词:lifting 第三人称单数:lifts 形容词:liftable
/lɪft; lɪft/ v
1 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sb/sth (up) raise sb/sth to a higher level or position 将某人[某物]抬起、举起
*Lift me up, mummy I can't see. 妈妈, 把我抱起来--我看不见.
* Three men were lifted by helicopter from the burning ship. 直升飞机把三个男人从燃烧着的船上吊起.
* (fig 比喻) This piece of luck lifted his spirits. 这一好运振奋了他的情绪.
2 [Tn.pr] take (sth) from its resting-place in order to move it 将（某物）从原地移开
*lift a box into a lorry, out of a train, down from a shelf, etc 把箱子抬上卡车、抬出火车、从架子上抬下来等.
3 [I] (of clouds, fog, etc) rise; disperse （指云、雾等）消失, 消散
*The mist began to lift. 雾开始消散.
* (fig 比喻) Her heart lifted at the sight of him. 她一看见他心里就高兴.
4 [Tn] dig up (vegetables); remove (plants) from the ground 挖掘（蔬菜）; 拔去（植物）
*lift potatoes, turnips, etc 刨土豆、拔萝卜.
5 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (from sb/sth) (infml 口)
(a) steal sth 偷窃某物
*She was caught lifting make-up from the supermarket. 她在超级市场偷窃化妆品时被捉住了.
(b) copy (material) from another source without permission or acknowledgement 剽窃, 抄袭（资料）
*Many of his ideas were lifted from other authors. 他的很多意念都是剽窃别的作者的.
6 [Tn] remove or abolish (restrictions) 解除或撤销（限制）
*lift a ban, embargo, curfew, etc 解除禁令、封锁、戒严等.
7 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] transport (goods, livestock, people) esp by air 运送（货物、牲畜、人）（尤指空运）
*fresh tomatoes lifted in from the Canary Islands 从加那利群岛空运的新鲜番茄.
8 (idm 习语) have one's face lifted => face1. lift/raise a finger/hand (to do sth) (infml 口) (usu negative 通常用于否定句) give help (with sth) 帮助（做某事）
*He never lifts a finger round the house, ie never helps with the housework. 家里的事他从不帮忙. lift/raise a hand/one's hand against sb => hand1. lift (up) one's eyes (to sth) (rhet 修辞) look up 抬眼看.
9 (phr v) lift off (of a rocket or spacecraft) rise from the launching site （指火箭或航天器）发射, 升空, 起飞.
1 [sing] lifting; being lifted 抬; 举
*Give him a lift
*he's too small to see anything. 把他抱起来; 他人矮, 什么也看不见.
2 [C] (Brit) (US elevator) box-like device for moving people or goods from one floor of a building to another 电梯; 升降机
*It's on the sixth floor let's take the lift. 在第六层--我们乘电梯吧.
3 [C] free ride in a private vehicle 免费搭私人车; 坐他人的顺路车
*I'll give you a lift to the station. 我用车顺便送你到车站去吧.
* thumb/hitch a lift, ie hitch-hike 用拇指示意求搭便车[免费搭他人车].
4 [U] upward pressure that air exerts on an aircraft in flight （空气作用于飞行器的）上升力. Cf 参看 drag1 2.
5 [sing] feeling of elation 鼓舞; 振奋
*Winning the scholarship gave her a tremendous lift. 她获得奖学金後受到极大的鼓舞.
1. But I could not say a word, and stood at my bench without daring to lift my head. 可是我一个字也说不出，站在座位上不敢抬头。
2. When the G-meter reached 6.2, I could no longer lift my feet off the floor. 当重力仪表显示6.2时，我就再也不能把脚从地板上抬起来了。
3. This case is very heavy; I can´t lift it. 这个箱子很重，我抬不起来。
4. His answer was to lift the vessel out of the water by making it ride on a cushion of air, no more than one or two feet thick. This is done by a great number of ring-shaped air jets on the bottom of the craft. 他的解决办法是把船体提离水面，让船在一个气垫上行驶，气垫只有一两英尺厚。船底装上大量环状喷气嘴以实现这一目的。
5. How much can I lift? 我能举起多重的东西？
6. He had helped me lift the veil that grows so quickly over our eyes in this busy world, to see a whole new realm I'd failed to appreciate before. 在这忙碌的世界里，一层快速形成的面纱遮住了我们的双眼，是他帮我揭开了这层面纱，见到了一个以前从未好好欣赏的崭新世界。
7. My father´s chauffeur is going to drive me downtown. Do you want a lift? 我父亲的司机要送我到闹区,你想搭便车吗?
8. Lift up your head, Nancy Lee, and smile at me! 南茜·李，抬起头来，对我笑一笑！
9. In the lift her thoughts were on lunch and a good rest; 她乘上电梯后，只想着午餐和好好休息一下。
10. I stopped and he asked me for a lift. 我把车停下，他向我提出要求搭车。