动词过去式:lightened 过去分词:lightened 现在分词:lightening 第三人称单数:lightens
v [I, Tn]
1 (cause sth to) become lighter in weight （使某物）变轻
*lighten a burden, cargo, pack, etc 使负担、货物、包装等变轻.
2 (cause sth to) be relieved of care or worry （使某事物）令人放心, 解除忧虑
*My mood gradually lightened. 我的心情慢慢轻松起来.
* lighten sb's duties 减轻某人的责任.
to reduce the amount of work, worry, debt etc that someone has
≠ increaselighten the load/burden/workload We should hire another secretary to lighten Barbara's workload. [I and T]
to become brighter or less dark, or to make something brighter etc
≠ darken As the sky lightened , we were able to see where we were. [I and T]
if you lighten something such as a mood or atmosphere
, or if it lightens, it becomes less sad or seriouslighten the atmosphere/mood/conversation Nora didn't respond to my attempts to lighten the conversation. [I]
if someone's face or expression lightens, they begin to look more cheerful His whole face would lighten when anyone mentioned Nancy. [I and T]
to reduce the weight of something or become less heavylighten upspoken
used to tell someone not to be so serious about something You need to lighten up a bit.
1. So says Dr. Robert S. Eliot, author of a new book titled From Stress to Strength: How to Lighten Your Load and Save Your Life. He's a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Nebraska. 内布拉斯加大学的临床医学教授、新书《从压力到力量：怎样减轻你的负担并拯救你的生命》的作者罗伯特·S·埃利奥特博士就是这样说的。
2. Lighten up. Once in a staff meeting, one of the most powerful chairmen in the entertainment industry became very angry over tiny problems, scolded each worker and enjoyed making them fear him. 放松。一次在员工会议上，一位娱乐业最有影响的董事长由于一些微不足道的问题大发雷霆，责备每一位员工，为能使员工害怕自己而感到满足。
3. If I had to give advice in two words, it would be "lighten up"! 如果一定要我用两个词说出我建议的话，那就是“放松”！
4. If you answered yes to even one of these questions, you need to lighten up. 对于上述问题，哪怕只有其中一个你给出的是肯定的回答，那么你就需要放松了。