1 in a literal manner; exactly 照原文; 精确地
*Idioms usually cannot be translated literally in another language. 成语通常不能照字面译成另一种语言.
* When he said he never wanted to see you again I'm sure he didn't mean it literally. 他说他再也不想见你了, 我肯定他言不由衷.
2 (infml 口) (used loosely, to intensify meaning 用以加强语气)
*I was literally bored to death! 我真的腻烦死了!
according to the most basic or original meaning of a word or expression
The name of the cheese is Dolcelatte, literally meaning 'sweet milk'.
I said I felt like quitting, but I didn't mean it literally (=I did not mean exactly what I said) !
take sb/sth literally
to believe exactly what someone or something says rather than trying to understand their general meaning
She takes the Bible literally.
used to emphasize that something, especially a large number, is actually true
The Olympic Games were watched by literally billions of people.
spoken used to emphasize a strong expression or word that is not being used in its real or original meaning. Some people consider this use to be incorrect.
Dad was literally blazing with anger.
1. We shall need to apply our scientific and technological resources to literally every aspect of our society. 我们需要把科学技术资源应用于社会生活的几乎每一个领域.
2. The feeling of private space and ownership no longer exists in houses literally piled one on the other. 住在层层相叠的房子里再也没有那种私人空间和拥有的感觉了。
3. The force of habit — literally the established wiring of your brain — will pull you away from practicing these skills. 习惯的力量——严格说就是头脑里已建立的思维方式——会妨碍你操练这些技能。
4. The body has about a hundred billion nerve cells, and every experience triggers a brain response that literally shapes our senses. 人体有大约1,000亿个神经细胞，每一次经历都会激发脑部的反应，而这种反应实际上影响着我们的感知。
5. Developing self-awareness requires tuning in to what emotions make our bodies feel like — literally, gut feelings(直觉). 自我意识的培养要求能注意到什么样的感情会使自己想做某事--确切地说，就是直觉。
6. "We've done years of work in showing that excess alarm or stress chemicals can literally burst heart muscle fibers. "我们已经做了多年研究，证明过分忧虑或紧张所产生的化学物质的确会损伤心肌纤维。
7. At the customs there was literally an army of officials. 海关里值勤的官员多极了。
8. Speculations about its nature have been going on for literally thousands of years, 人们对睡眠作用的种种猜测，确实有数千年之久。
9. Whore:literally, a prostitute- - - a sexually promiscuous woman. whore:照字面意义,一个妓女--一个性方面随便的女人
10. I realize now that as a child I sat by, through the years, and literally watched my father kill himself: 我现在意识到了，当我还是一个孩子时，许多年中我实际上是一直坐在旁边，看着我父亲自杀。