动词过去式:lucked 过去分词:lucked 现在分词:lucking 第三人称单数:lucks
1 chance, esp thought of as a force that brings good or bad fortune 运气; 造化
*have good, poor, hard (ie bad), little, bad, etc luck 运气好、不好、背、欠佳、坏等.
2 good fortune 好运; 幸运
*I hope this charm will bring you luck. 希望这个符咒会给你带来好运.
* I always carry one for luck. 为讨吉利我老是带着一个.
* I had the luck to find him at home. 我真幸运, 找他时他正在家.
* Any luck with (ie Did you manage to get) the job? 找工作的事运气好吗?
* Our luck has run out, ie has ended. 我们的运气到头了.
3 (idm 习语) as(good/ill) luck would have it fortunately/unfortunately幸而[不幸]; 碰巧[不巧]. (what) bad, rotten, etc`luck! (used to show sympathy 用以表示同情). be bad/hard `luck (on sb) be unfortunate 不幸; 倒霉
*It was very hard luck (on you) to get ill on your holiday. （你）假期得病真倒霉. be ,down on one's `luck (infml 口) have a period of misfortune 倒霉的时候; 背运之时. beginner's luck => beginner (begin). be in/out of `luck be fortunate/unfortunate 走运[不走运]. better luck next time => better1. the devil's own luck => devil1. ,good `luck (to sb) may sb be fortunate and successful 祝某人好运和顺利
*Good luck in your exams! 祝你考得好! ,just one's `luck (indicating that sth unfortunate or inconvenient has happened to one, as usual 用以表示运气总是那么坏)
*It was just my luck to go to the play on the day the star was ill. 我总是这么倒霉, 去看戏那天偏巧明星病了. one's `luck is in one is lucky 走运; 交好运. the luck of the draw the way in which chance decides what some people become, do, get, etc and others not 一个人一个命（有的人有运气, 有的人没有运气）. the luck of the game the element of luck, as opposed to skill, that operates in a game, an activity, etc 手气（支配游戏、活动等的运气, 并非技巧）. ,no such `luck unfortunately not 没有那份儿运气. push one's luck => push2. take pot luck => pot1. ,tough `luck
(a) (used to show sympathy 用以表示同情).
(b) (ironic 反语) (used to show that one does not really care about sb's misfortune 用以表示对某人的不幸并不真正关心). try one's luck/fortune => try1. worse luck => worse.
v (phr v) luck out (US infml 口) be lucky or successful 走运; 交好运; 侥幸成功.
1. Bad luck is no stranger to this warm and thoughtful 37-year-old man. 厄运已经不是一次捉弄这位37岁、热心而又体贴的人了。
2. Things seemed always to go from almost incredibly bad to worse. Even Mr. Torres's good luck has a dark side: 事情似乎总是从糟糕透顶变得更加恶化，甚至多里斯先生的好运也总伴随着不幸。
3. He ascribed his failure to bad luck. 他把失败归咎於运气不好.
4. A.You worry about the added problems your good luck will bring. a.你为你的好运将给你带来的额外问题感到担忧。
5. At 37, I left the coastguards and decided to try my luck by writing. 37岁时，我离开了海岸巡逻队，决定试一试我写作的运气。
6. "Get off the train on the right foot," my mother tells us. "For luck in the new life." "为了在新生活中交好运。" "下车用右脚先着地。" 母亲嘱咐我们。
7. "They're freckles. Freckles are good luck, you know," I felt compelled to defend on his behalf, a bit too heatedly as I raised my voice above the noise of the kitchen. "它们是雀斑。你知道雀斑象征着好运。" 我感到我得为他辩解。我提高嗓门压倒厨房里的噪声，我自己也感到我太激动了点。
8. Among the ingredients for success, researchers now generally agree that IQ counts for about 20%; the rest depends on everything from social class to luck. 在成功的诸要素中，研究人员现在普遍认为智商约起20%的作用，其余部分则取决于从社会地位到运气等各种因素。
9. Soapy followed the man with a presentiment that luck would again run against him. 索皮跟随着那人，却有预感幸运将再次与他背道而驰。
10. Good luck to you! 祝你好运!