动词过去式:maintained 过去分词:maintained 现在分词:maintaining 第三人称单数:maintains 形容词:maintainable 名词:maintainability
tain,ten,tin＝to hold,to keep（安静）
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (with sth) cause sth to continue; keep sth in existence at the same level, standard, etc 保持或维持某事物
*maintain friendly relations, contacts, etc (with sb) （与某人）保持友好关系、接触等
* enough food to maintain one's strength 足以维持体力的食物
* maintain law and order 维持法治
* maintain prices, ie prevent them falling 维持住物价（防止跌落）
* maintain one's rights 保留自己的权利
* Maintain your speed at
60 mph. 你要保持每小时60英里的速度.
* The improvement in his health is being maintained. 他的健康状况仍在继续好转.
2 [Tn] support (sb) financially 在财务上支持（某人）; 赡养; 扶养
*earn enough to maintain a family in comfort 挣的钱足以维持一家人过舒适的生活
* This school is maintained by a charity. 该校由一慈善机构资助.
* She maintains two sons at university. 她供两个儿子上大学.
3 [Tn] keep (sth) in good condition or working order 保养, 维修（某物）
*maintain the roads, a house, a car, etc 保养道路、房子、汽车等
* Engineers maintain the turbines. 机修工维修涡轮机.
* a well-maintained house 保养良好的房子.
4 [Tn, Tf] assert (sth) as true 断言（某事）属实; 坚持
*maintain one's innocence 坚持自己无辜
* maintain that one is innocent of a charge 对某项指控坚称无罪.
1【make something continue】2【level/rate】3【say】4【look after something】5【provide money/food】
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
maintenir, from Latin
manu tenere 'to hold in the hand'
]【MAKE SOMETHING CONTINUE】
to make something continue in the same way or at the same standard as before Careers Officers maintain contact with young people when they have left school. Britain wants to maintain its position as a world power. A lot depends on building and maintaining a good relationship with your customers. The hotel prides itself on maintaining high standards. How can we maintain control of spending?【LEVEL/RATE】
to make a level or rate of activity, movement etc stay the same It is important to maintain a constant temperature inside the greenhouse. This is the most efficient way to build up and maintain a reasonable level of physical fitness.【SAY】
to strongly express your belief that something is true
= claimmaintain (that) Critics maintain that these reforms will lead to a decline in educational standards.maintain your innocence
(=say that you did not commit a crime) He maintained his innocence and said the allegations were 'ridiculous'.【LOOK AFTER SOMETHING】
to keep a machine, building etc in good condition by checking and repairing it regularly The report found that safety equipment had been very poorly maintained. The company is responsible for maintaining public telephone boxes.【PROVIDE MONEY/FOOD】
to provide someone with the things they need, such as money or food
= provide for How can you maintain a family on $900 a month?
1. You maintain (保持) balance and perspective, mainly through relying frequently on sarcasm (讽刺) and irreverence (不敬). 虽然你生活的任何方面的问题好像远比过去更容易地把你推进暂时的绝望的境地，但你还是有一些很重要的东西可以依赖--那些富有爱心的人们，你自己的幽默感，你的才干，你的猫和你那许许多多的希望。