the first, more general statement of a syllogism （逻辑学三段论法的）大前提.
1. Education concerning how to survive an earthquake should be a major emphasis for all government programs and earthquake-related research projects. 教育人们如何在地震中幸存下来，应该是所有政府规划和地震研究项目的重点所在。
2. But when I went into his room, a carton of cigarettes in my hand, I discovered the "head waiter" in the uniform of a Major General. 但是当我手里拿着一盒香烟走进他房间时，我发现那位“侍者领班”穿上了少将的制服。
3. What is the major cause of the labour-management strife? 劳资冲突的主要原因是什么?
4. Women of child-bearing age are at greatest risk, since their monthly bleeding is a major source of iron loss. 育龄女性危险最大，因为月经是铁流失的重要原因之一。
5. The lawyer based his argument on the premise that people are innocent until they are proved to be guilty. 律师的论点所依据的前提是, 人们在没有被证明有罪之前都是无罪的.
6. The film would require some major structural changes. 这部电影的结构将需要作一些重大的修改。
7. Twenty or thirty pages of information handed to any of the major world powers around the year 1925 would have been sufficient to change the course of world history. 如果把二三十页的情报交给1952年前后的任何一个世界强国，就足以改变世界历史的进程。二三十页材料中的思想和情报会便当今的世界翻天覆地，甚至毁灭这个世界。
8. This is a major achievement because, in relative terms, planets are very small and do not emit light. 这是一个重要的成就，因为相对来说，行星很小，而且也不发光。
9. To celebrate the tenth anniversary of the People´s Republic (1959), the government determined in 1958 that Beijing should undertake ten major building projects and complete them in ten months. 为了庆祝中华人民共和国建国十周年（一九五九年），一九五八年，中国政府决定十个月内在北京完成十项主要建筑工程。
10. There were occasions when Churchill would speak for five, six, or seven minutes, while poor Major Birse dashed his pencil desperately over the paper, trying to capture enough words to convey the eloquence into Russian. 有很多次丘吉尔会一连说上五、六或七分钟，这时可怜的伯尔斯少校手里的铅笔在纸上飞速运转，拼命地捕捉词句，想把这滔滔不绝的发言用俄语表达出来。