1 (a) stain, spot, line, etc, esp one that spoils the appearance of sth 痕迹; 污点; 斑
*black marks on white trousers 白裤子上的黑色污迹
* Who made these dirty marks on my new book? 谁把我的新书弄上了这些污迹?
(b) noticeable spot or area on the body by which a person or animal may be recognized （人或动物身上可供识别用的）特徵, 胎记
*a horse with a white mark on its head 头上有白斑的马
* This scar is her main distinguishing mark. 这块疮疤是她主要的识别记号. Cf 参看 birthmark (birth).
2 (a) written or printed symbol; figure, line, etc made as a sign or an indication of sth （书写的或印刷的）符号; （图、线等的）记号
*,punctu`ation marks 标点符号
* Put a mark in the margin to show the omission. 在页边作个记号表示有遗漏.
* White marks painted on the trees show the route. 树上涂有白色符号用以表示行进路线.
(b) symbol on sth to show its origin, ownership or quality （表示来源、属有关系或品质的）标签, 标记
*`laundry marks, ie showing which laundry items have been sent to 洗衣房记号（表示已送到洗衣房的衣物标记）
* cattle branded with a distinctive mark, ie of ownership 烙有物主标记的牛. Cf 参看 trade mark (trade1).
3 visible trace; sign or indication (of a quality, feeling, etc) （性质、感情等的）痕迹, 迹象
*marks of suffering, old age 痛苦、年老的表徵
* Please accept this gift as a mark of our respect. 请接受我们这份薄礼, 聊表敬意.
4 number or letter, eg B+, used as an assessment of sb's work or conduct 评定某人的工作或操行用的数字或字母符号（如B+）
*get a good/poor mark in maths 数学获得良[劣]
* give sb high/low marks (for sth) 给某人高[低]分
* She got
80 marks out of
100 for geography. 她的地理得了80分.
5 cross made on a document instead of a signature by an illiterate person （文盲在文件上当作签名的）十字画押
*put/make one's mark (on sth) （在某物上）写十字（画押）.
6 Mark (followed by a number 後接数字) model or type (of a machine, vehicle, etc) （表示机器、车辆等的）型, 式
*the Jaguar XJ6, Mark II 豹牌XJ6, II型轿车
* a Mark IV Cortina （福特）科天娜IV型轿车.
7 (fml 文) thing aimed at; target 目标; 目的; 鹄的
*The arrow reached its mark and the bird fell dead. 那枝箭射中鹄的, 那只鸟坠地而死.
8 (in sport) line from which a race starts; point from which a bowler, jumper, etc begins his run （体育）起跑线, 起点
*be quick/slow off the mark 起跑快[慢].
9 (idm 习语) be/fall wide of the mark => wide. an easy mark => easy1. full marks => full. give sb full marks => full. ,hit/,miss the `mark succeed/fail in an attempt to do sth 做成[未做成]某事物; 达到[未达到]目标. leave/make one's, its, etc mark (on sth/sb) leave a lasting (good or bad) impression 留下持久的（好或坏）印象
*War has left its mark on the country. 战争给该国留下了不可磨灭的痕迹.
* Two unhappy marriages have left their mark on her. 两次婚姻不幸给她留下了极坏的印象. ,make one's `mark become famous,successful, etc 出名; 成功
*an actor who has made his mark in films 在电影界已崭露头角的演员. not be/feel (quite) ,up to the `mark not feel as well, lively, etc as usual 不如平时身体好、有精神等
*I've got flu, so I'm not quite up to the mark. 我得了流感, 所以有点不舒服. on your `marks, (get) `set, `go! (words said by the official starter of an athletics race 径赛发令员的号令语). overshoot the mark => overshoot. overstep the mark => overstep. `up to the `mark equal to the required standard 达到要求的标准
*Her school work isn't quite up to the mark. 她的功课不大符合要求.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ A (with B); ~ B on A make (a mark or marks) on sth 在某物上做（记号）
*mark one's name on one's clothes/mark one's clothes with one's name 在自己的衣服上标上自己的名字
* The route has been marked so that it is easy to follow. 这条路线已标有记号, 很容易跟着走.
* Prices are marked on the goods. 商品上都标有价目.
* a face marked (ie scarred) by smallpox 出过天花的麻子脸.
2 [Tn] indicate or denote (sth) 表示, 指明（某事物）
*This cross marks the spot where she died. 这个十字符号标明她死去的地点.
* His death marked the end of an era. 他的死标志着一个时代的结束.
* There will be ceremonies to mark (ie celebrate) the Queen's birthday. 庆祝女王生日将要举行典礼.
3 [Tn] give marks (mark1 4) to (pupils' work, etc) 给（学生作业等）批分数, 评成绩
*mark examination papers 评阅试卷
* I have twenty essays to mark tonight. 今晚我有二十篇文章要评分数.
4 [Cn.a] show (sth) by putting a mark, eg a tick by sb's name 作记号表示（某事物）（如在某人姓名旁打勾号）
*mark sb absent/present 标出某人缺席[出席]
* Why have you marked the sentence wrong? 你为什么把那句话标为病句呢?
5 [Tn, Cn.n/a] ~ sth (as sth) be a distinguishingfeature of (sth) 为（某事物）的特徵
*a style marked by precision and wit 以精巧为特徵的文体
* These are qualities which mark the film as quite exceptional. 这些特点标志着那部影片与众不同.
6 [Tn, Tw] (fml 文) pay attention to (sth); note carefully 注意（某事物）; 留心
*You mark/Mark my words, ie You will find that what I say is correct. 留心听我说的话（你以後就明白我说得对）.
* Mark carefully how it is done. 仔细注意这是怎么做的.
7 [Tn] (sport 体) stay close to (an opposing player) so that he cannot play easily 钉住（对手）
*Our defence had him closely marked throughout the first half. 我们的後卫在整个上半场都把他钉得死死的.
8 (idm 习语) a marked `man man whose conduct, etc has caused him to be disliked and selected for punishment, etc 因行为等令人不悦而遭惩罚等的人
*By breaking the rule of absolute secrecy, he became a marked man. 他因违犯绝密条例, 成了处罚对象. mark `time
(a) march without moving forward 原地踏步.
(b) (fig 比喻) pass one's time doing sth routine until one can do sth more interesting, etc 等待时机
*I'm just marking time in this job; I'm hoping to become an actor. 我做这份工作是骑马找马; 我很希望当演员. mark you nevertheless; all the same; however 尽管如此; 反正; 可是; 然而
*She hasn't had much success yet. Mark you, she does try hard. 她还没做出什么成绩来. 但她确实很努力.
9 (phr v) mark sb down reduce the marks given to sb in an examination, etc 给某人考试成绩等减分
*She was marked down because her answers were too short. 她回答得太简短, 给减了分. mark sth down reduce the price of sth 减某物的价
*All goods have been marked down by 15%. 所有货物一律八五折. mark sth off separate sth by marking a boundary 标明界限以隔开某物
*We have marked the playing area off with a white line. 我们已用白线画出运动场地. mark sb out for sth (esp passive 尤用于被动语态) choose sb to receive sth special 选择某人接受某事物
*a woman marked out for early promotion 被选定尽早晋升的女子
* He was marked out for special training. 他被指定接受特殊训练. mark sth out draw lines to show the boundaries of sth 画线标出某物的界限
*mark out a tennis court, car-park, etc 画出网球场、停车场等的界限. mark sb up increase the marks given to sb in an examination 给某人考试成绩加分
*If we mark him up a tiny bit, he'll just get through. 我们只要给他稍加点分, 他就能勉强及格. mark sth up
(a) add a percentage to the cost/wholesale price of sth in calculating the selling/retail price 给成本[批发]价格加一百分比（以计算销售[零售]价格）
*Whisky is marked up by 150%. 威士忌在成本价上增加150%.
(b) increase the price of sth 提高某物的价格
*Cars have been marked up recently. 最近汽车已涨价.
n unit of money in Germany 马克（德国货币单位）
*a ten-mark note 一张十马克纸币.