n.面具,掩饰,石膏面像 vt.戴面具,掩饰,使模糊 vi.化装,戴面具,掩饰,参加化装舞会
动词过去式:masked 过去分词:masked 现在分词:masking 第三人称单数:masks 形容词:maskable
/mɑ:sk; [US] mæsk; mæsk/
1 covering for the face, or part of it, worn as a disguise 面具; 面罩
*a bank robber wearing a stocking mask 戴着长筒袜面罩抢劫银行的匪徒.
2 (a) likeness of a face carved in wood, ivory, etc, or made of papier mache, plastic, card, etc （木、象牙等的）面部雕像; （制型纸、塑料、厚纸等制的）假面具
*a child wearing a gorilla mask 戴着猩猩面具的孩子
* an actor wearing the mask of tragedy, eg in Greek drama 戴悲剧人物面具的演员（如演希腊戏剧）.
(b) likeness of a face made by taking a mould in wax 蜡塑面部模型
*a death mask, ie such a mould taken when a person is dead 死者蜡塑面部模型（取自死者面部者）.
3 = gas mask. =>illus 见插图.
4 pad of sterile material worn over the mouth and nose, eg by doctors and nurses during a surgical operation, to protect against infection 口罩. =>illus 见插图.
5 (usu sing 通常作单数) (fml fig 文, 比喻) thing that hides the truth; pretence 用作掩盖的事物; 掩饰; 伪装
*Her sociable manner is really a mask for a very shy nature. 她那好交际的作风, 实际上是她 腆天性的伪装.
* He conceals his worries behind a mask of nonchalance. 他装作若无其事, 藉以掩饰内心的不安.
/mɑ:sk; [US] mæsk; mæsk/ v [Tn]
1 cover (the face) with a mask; cover the face of (sb) with a mask 用面具遮住（脸）; 用面罩遮掩（某人）的脸
*The thief masked his face with a stocking. 那贼套上长筒袜遮住脸.
* a masked robber, woman, etc 戴面具的劫匪、女子等.
2 (fig 比喻) conceal (sth); disguise 掩盖（某事物）; 伪装
*mask one's fear by a show of confidence 装出有信心的样子来掩饰内心的恐惧
* This perfume won't mask the unpleasant smell. 这种香水遮不住那股难闻的气味.
1. The thief was wearing a mask. 贼是带着面具的。
2. Inevitably they will do everything they can to preserve this false mask, but they will do very little to enhance their inner value and personal growth. 他们必然会不择手段地去维护自己的这种假面具，他们不太会去努力提高自己的内涵和素质。
3. For a fee of $15.60 per jump, Tokyo Roof rented me a flight suit, special shoes, gloves, earplugs(耳塞), a crash helmet, a face mask, a tooth guard and a safety harness (but no parachute). 蹦极跳每次收费15.60美元，"东京屋顶" 租给我一套飞行服，特殊的鞋子、手套、耳塞、头盔、面罩、护牙套、还有一套安全装备（但是没有降落伞）。