v (pt, pp met / met; mZt/)
1 (a) [I, Ip, Tn] come face to face with (sb); come together 遇见, 碰见（某人）; 相遇; 相逢
*Goodbye till we meet again. 再见.
* We write regularly but seldom meet (up), ie see each other. 我们常写信, 但很少见面.
* We met (each other) quite by chance. 我们（彼此）相遇纯属偶然.
* I met her in the street. 我在街上遇见了她.
* (fig 比喻) A terrible scene met their eyes as they entered the room. 他们一进屋, 迎面所见是一幅可怕的景象.
(b) [I] come together formally for discussion, etc 开会
*The Cabinet meets regularly. 内阁定期开会.
* The Debating Society meets on Fridays. 辩论社团每星期五举行例会.
(c) [Tn no passive 不用于被动语态] (fig 比喻) experience (sth unpleasant); encounter 经历（不愉快的事）; 遭遇
*meet disaster, one's death, etc 遇难、死亡
* meet a problem, difficulty, etc 遇到问题、困难等.
2 [I, Tn no passive 不用于被动语态] make the acquaintance of (sb); be introduced to (sb) 结识（某人）; 被引见或介绍给（某人）
*I know Mrs Hill by sight, but we've never met. 我见希尔夫人面熟, 但并不相识.
* He's an interesting man, would you like to meet him? 他这个人很有趣, 你想跟他认识吗? Meet my wife Susan, ie as an informal style of introduction. 这是我妻子苏珊.
* Pleased to meet you. 认识你很高兴.
3 [Tn] go to a place and await the arrival of (a person, train, etc) 接（人、火车等）
*Will you meet me at the station? 你到车站接我吗?
* I'll meet your bus. 我到汽车站接你.
* The hotel bus meets all the trains. 旅馆的汽车在火车站迎接各班车的旅客.
4 [I, Tn no passive 不用于被动语态] come together with (sb) as opponent(s) in a contest, etc 与（某人）比赛, 竞赛, 交锋
*The champion and the challenger meet next week. 下星期冠军将迎战挑战者.
* City met United in the final last year, and City won. 去年决赛中, 市队与联队交锋, 市队获胜.
5 [I, Tn] come into contact with (sth); touch; join 接触（某事物）; 联结
*Their hands met. 他们的手相触.
* His hand met hers. 他的手碰到了她的手.
* The vertical line meets the horizontal one here. 垂直线与水平线在此相交.
* These trousers won't meet (ie fasten) round my waist any more! 这裤子瘦得腰都系不上了!
6 [Tn] fulfil (a demand, etc); satisfy 满足（要求等）; 符合
*meet sb's wishes, conditions, needs, etc 满足某人的愿望、条件、需要等
* Can we meet all their objections? 他们提出的反对意见我们都能圆满解决吗?
7 [Tn] pay (sth) 支付, 偿付（某费用）
*meet all the expenses, bills, etc 偿付全部开支、帐单等
* The cost will be met by the company. 费用由公司支付.
8 (idm 习语) find/meet one's match => match2. make ends meet => end1. meet the `case be adequate or satisfactory 适当; 令人满意
*This proposal of yours hardly meets the case. 你的这项提议不甚恰当. meet sb's `eye look into sb's eyes 与某人目光相遇
*She was afraid to meet my eye. 她怕与我目光相遇. meet the `eye/`ear be seen/heard 被看见[听见]
*All sorts of strange sounds met the ear. 听见了各种奇怪的声音. meet sb half-`way make a compromisewith sb 与某人妥协
*If you can drop your price a little, I'll meet you half-way. 你要是能减点价, 我就愿意再让一步. meet one's `Maker (esp joc 尤作戏谑语) die 死; 见上帝
*he's gone to meet his Maker. 可怜的弗雷德, 他已经去见上帝了. ,meet one's Water`loo lose a decisive contest （在比赛中）惨败. there is more in/to sb/sth than meets the eye sb/sth is more complex, interesting, etc than one might at first think 某人[某事物]比原想的复杂、有趣等.
9 (phr v) meet up (with sb) meet (sb), esp by chance 偶遇（某人）
*I met up with him/We met up at the supermarket. 我们在超级市场偶然相遇. meet with sb (US) meet sb, esp for discussion 与某人会晤（尤指为商议事）
*The President met with senior White House aides at breakfast. 早餐时总统会见了白宫的高级助手. meet with sth encounter sth; experience sth 遇到某事物; 经历某事物
*meet with obstacles, difficulties, misfortune 遇到障碍、困难、不幸
* She met/was met with much hostility, criticism, kindness, etc. 她受到敌视、批评、善待等.
1 (esp Brit) gathering of riders and hounds at a fixed place for fox-hunting （骑马的猎人与猎犬在出发猎狐前的）集合.
2 (esp US) sporting contest where many competitors gather 运动会
*an ath`letics meet 体育运动会
* a `track, `swimming meet 田径、游泳运动会. Cf 参看 meeting 3.
adj [pred 作表语] (arch 古) suitable; appropriate 适合; 适当; 恰当.