1 [C, U] substance that is not vegetable or animal, esp one with a constant chemical composition which is found naturally in the earth 矿物
*substances classified as mineral(s) 列为矿物的物质
* [attrib 作定语] mineral salts 岩盐
* the mineral kingdom 矿物界. Cf 参看 animal, vegetable.
2 [C, U] any substance got from the earth by mining, esp a metal ore 采自地下的任何物质; （尤指）金属矿石
*Coal and iron are minerals. 煤和铁都是矿物.
* [attrib 作定语] mineral deposits, resources, wealth, etc. 矿藏、矿物资源、矿物财富.
3 [C usu pl 通常作复数] (Brit)
(a) = mineral water.
(b) (US soda) non-alcoholic canned or bottled drink containing flavouring and soda-water （罐装或瓶装的）矿泉水
*Soft drinks and minerals sold here. 此处出售软饮料和矿泉水.
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: Medieval Latin;Origin: mineralis 'of mines', from Old French mine; MINE2]
a substance that is formed naturally in the earth, such as coal, salt, stone, or gold. Minerals can be dug out of the ground and used
The area is very rich in minerals .
a country with few mineral resources
a natural substance such as iron that is present in some foods and is important for good health
Fish is a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
1. Each mineral has crystals of a particular shape. 每种矿物的晶体都有其特殊的形状。
2. But we do not need to send men down to get the oil out, as we must with other mineral deposits. 但是，我们不必像开采其他矿藏那样，把人送到地下去把石油取出。
3. With the combination of intelligence and manual skill (allowing us to make and use tools), people have found ways to use plant and animal resources, mineral ores, fuels, and many other of Earth's materials and resources. 由于智力与手工技能的结合（使得人类能够制造和使用工具），人们已经发现了诸多利用地球动植物资源、矿产资源、燃料和许多其他物产和资源的方法。
4. At lava Hot Springs in Idaho, visitors may bathe in the thermal mineral waters. 在爱达荷的溶岩温泉，游客可在热矿泉水中洗澡。