mir＝to wonder（惊讶）,to behold（看见）
/'mɪrəkl; `mɪrəkl/ n
1 [C] good or welcome act or event which does not follow the known laws of nature and is therefore thought to be caused by some supernatural power 奇迹
*perform/work/accomplish miracles 创造[产生/完成]奇迹
* Her life was saved by a miracle. 她性命得救全靠奇迹.
* The doctors said her recovery was a miracle. 医生说她的康复是个奇迹.
2 [sing] (infml fig 口, 比喻) remarkable or unexpected event 惊人的或意外的奇事
*It's a miracle you weren't killed in that car crash! 你在那次汽车撞车事故中大难不死, 真不可思议!
* It'll be a miracle if he ever gives up smoking! 他要是真戒了烟, 那才怪呢!
* [attrib 作定语] a miracle cure, drug, etc 有奇效的疗法、药物等.
3 [C] ~ of sth remarkable example or specimen of sth 非凡的事例
*miracles of ingenuity, craftsmanship, etc 了不起的智巧、手艺等
* The compact disc is a miracle of modern technology. 激光唱片是当代技术的奇葩.
4 (idm 习语) do/work miracles/wonders (for/with sb/sth) (infml 口) be remarkably successful in achieving positive results (for/with sb/sth) （对某人[某事物]）有奇效, 极成功
*This tonic will work miracles for your depression. 这种补药对治疗你的忧郁症十分有效.
* He can do miracles with a few kitchen leftovers, eg by making them into a tasty meal. 他能用厨房里几样剩饭菜做出一顿美餐.
[Date: 1100-1200; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin miraculum]
something very lucky or very good that happens which you did not expect to happen or did not think was possible
It's a miracle you weren't killed!
By some miracle, we managed to catch the plane.
the economic miracle of the 1950s.
She's our miracle baby.
(=something lucky but not very important)
The fence's survival in these winds seems like a minor miracle.
an action or event believed to be caused by God, which is impossible according to the ordinary laws of nature
Do you believe in miracles?
a very effective medical treatment that cures even serious diseases
There is no miracle cure for diabetes.
to have a very good effect or achieve a very good result
Maybe you should try yoga - it worked miracles for me.
a miracle of sth
a very good example of something
The concert tour was an absolute miracle of organization.
a miracle of modern engineering
1. We still think it a miracle that they were able to do so. 至今我们仍认为这是个奇迹。
2. Then at last the miracle happened for which his unconscious mind had been seeking for so long. Falling into a sleeplike condition, he suddenly felt as though he were sinking in a mighty flood of water, and the rush and roar soon took musical shape wi 终于，他的潜意识长期以来一直在寻找的奇迹发生了。他进入了似睡非睡的朦胧状态，骤然间感觉到自己仿佛掉进了滔滔洪水之中,不断在下沉，很快，洪水的冲击声和咆哮声以音乐的形式呈现在他的脑海里。
3. Her life was saved by a miracle. 她性命得救全靠奇迹.
4. Designed, built, and fully completed in ten months, it was a miracle. 从设计、建造到全部竣工，大会堂仅用了十个月，这真是一项奇迹。
5. Giving her the painful facts concerning her chance to renew herself, I told her I thought the claims of such miracle cures were ridiculous. 在向她说明岁月无情，要改变现实可能性不大之后，我告诉她我认为这些灵丹妙药所宣传的都很荒谬。