/'mɪzrəbl; `mɪzrəbl/ adj
1 very unhappy or uncomfortable; wretched 悲惨的; 难受的; 不幸的; 可怜的
*miserable from cold and hunger 饥寒交迫
* Refugees everywhere lead miserable lives. 各地难民过着凄惨的生活.
* He makes her life miserable, eg by his cruelty, selfishness, etc. 他使她的生活十分痛苦.
* Don't look so miserable! 别这么愁眉苦脸的!
2 causing unhappiness or discomfort; unpleasant 造成不幸或痛苦的; 令人不快的
*miserable (eg cold and wet) weather 令人难受的天气
* a miserable afternoon 使人不快的下午
* live in miserable conditions 在困苦的环境中生活.
3 poor in quality or quantity; too small or meagre 低劣的; 贫乏的; 小得或少得可怜的
*What a miserable meal that was! 那顿饭真差劲!
* How can I keep a family on such a miserable wage? 我怎么能靠这么可怜的工资养家?
4 [attrib 作定语] mean; contemptible 卑鄙的; 可耻的
*What a miserable old devil Scrooge was! 斯克鲁奇是多么可恶的吝啬鬼呀!
* The plan was a miserable failure. 那计画遭到狼狈不堪的失败.
5 (idm 习语) miserable/ugly as sin => sin.
1400-1500; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
miserabilis, from miser; MISER
extremely unhappy, for example because you feel lonely, cold, or badly treated I've been so miserable since Patrick left me. I spent the weekend feeling miserable . Janice looks really miserable . Why do you make yourself miserable by taking on too much work?as miserable as sinBrE
(=very miserable) especially BrE
always bad-tempered, dissatisfied
, or complaining He's a miserable old devil. [usually before noun]
making you feel very unhappy, uncomfortable etc They endured hours of backbreaking work in miserable conditions. Mosquito bites can make life miserable .
miserable weather is cold and dull, with no sun shining It was a miserable grey day. two weeks of miserable weather [only before noun]
very small in amount, or very bad in quality I can hardly afford the rent on my miserable income. The team gave a miserable performance.miserable failureBrE
a complete failure Her attempts to learn to drive had been a miserable failure.>miserablyadv I failed miserably in my duty to protect her.
1. What a miserable meal that was! 那顿饭真差劲!
2. While Katie got along with her roommate, Sarah was miserable. 卡蒂与室友相处融洽，但萨拉却十分不快。
3. He spent a miserable day in bed thinking of all the fun he was missing. 他在床上郁郁不乐地躺了一天，想着他错过的种种欢乐。
4. Her basket on her arm, she went to the fruiterer´s, the grocer´s, the butcher´s, bargaining, defending every sou of her miserable money. 胳膊上挎着篮子，她去水果店、杂货店和肉店，讨价还价，极力维护辛苦挣来的每一个铜板。
5. You miserable coward! 你这可怜的胆小鬼!
6. "I feel miserable because I haven´t got any jewels, not a single stone, to wear. “我觉得痛苦，因为我没有任何珠宝首饰可戴，一个都没有。