1 wrong idea or opinion; misconception 错误的想法或见解; 误解; 误会
*You can't arrest me! There must be some mistake! 你们不能逮捕我! 一定是弄错了!
2 thing done incorrectly through ignorance or wrong judgement; error 错误; 过失; 失策
*spelling mistakes 拼写错误
* learn by one's mistakes 从错误中汲取教训
* The waiter made a mistake over the bill. 服务员把帐算错了.
* It was a big mistake to leave my umbrella at home. 我把雨伞留在家里失算得很.
3 (idm习语) by mi`stake as a result of carelessness, forgetfulness,etc; in error 错误地（因粗心、遗忘等所致）
*I took your bag instead of mine by mistake. 我错拿了你的手提包, 还以为是我的呢. and ,no mi`stake (infml 口) without any doubt 毫无疑问; 的确
*It's hot today and no mistake! 今天确实很热! ,make no mi`stake (about sth) (infml 口) do not be misled into thinking otherwise 别误会; 别误解
*Susan seems very quiet, but make no mistake (about it), she has a terrible temper! 苏珊样子很文静, 可别产生误会, 她脾气坏极了!
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Mistake, error, blunder, fault and defect all refer to something done incorrectly or improperly. *mistake、error、blunder、fault、defect 都用以指没有做对或做得不妥的事物. Mistake is the most general, used of everyday situations *mistake词义最笼统, 可用于日常各种情况
*Your essay is full of mistakes. 你的文章错误很多.
* It was a mistake to go there on holiday. 跑到那儿度假真是失策. Error is more formal *error较文
*an error in your calculations 你计算中出现的错误
* a technical error技术性错误. A blunder is a careless mistake, often unnecessary or resulting from misjudgement *blunder是粗心的错误, 常为不该有的或出于判断错误
*I made a terrible blunder in introducing her to my husband. 我把她介绍给我的丈夫是犯了一个极大的错误. Fault emphasizes a person's responsibility for a mistake *fault侧重于造成错误的个人责任
*The child broke the window, but it was his parents' fault for letting him play football indoors. 孩子把窗户打破了, 但是让他在屋里踢足球是他父母的过错. Fault can also indicate an imperfection in a person or thing *fault还可指人或物的缺点
*He has many faults, but vanity is not one of them. 他有很多缺点, 但并没有虚荣心.
* an electrical fault 电路的故障. A defect is more serious *defect指更为严重的缺陷
*The new car had to be withdrawn from the market because of a mechanical defect. 那种新汽车因有机械缺陷只好撤出市场.
v (pt mistook / mI5stUk; mEs`tJk/, pp mistaken / mIs5teIkEn; mE`stekEn/)
1 [Tn, Tw] be wrong or get a wrong idea about (sb/sth) 弄错、误解或误会（某人）或（某事物）的意思
*I must have mistaken your meaning/what you meant. 我一定误会了你的意思.
* Don't mistake me, I mean what I say. 别误解我的意思, 我说的就是这个意思.
* We've mistaken the house, ie come to the wrong house. 我们找错门了.
2 [Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth for sb/sth wrongly suppose that sb/sth is sb/sth else 误将某人[某事物]认作他人[他事物]
*mistake a toadstool for a mushroom 误把毒菌当作蘑菇
* She is often mistaken for her twin sister. 她常被误认为是她的挛生妹妹.
3 (idm 习语) there's no mistaking sb/sth there is no possibility of being wrong about sb/sth 决不可能搞错某人[某事物]
*There's no mistaking what ought to be done. 该做的事十分清楚.
1. But make no mistake about it, what most of them are about is money — and how financial assets will be divided up if a couple divorces. 但是不要弄错了，大多数婚前协议涉及到的都是钱——以及如果夫妻一旦离婚该怎样分配财产。
2. It is probably a mistake to credit dolphins with any motive of lifesaving. 认为它们有救人的动机可能是错误的。
3. What would I not have given to be able to say the rules without a mistake! 唉，要是我能一点不错地说出动词的规则该多好哇！
4. We wanted to avoid the mistake made by many couples of marrying for the wrong reasons, and only finding out ten, twenty, or thirty years later that they were incompatible, 许多夫妻因为错误的理由结了婚, 结果在10年、20年或30年后才发觉他们原来是合不来的，
5. The commentator made a big mistake during the live broadcast. 在直播节目中评论员犯了个大错误。
6. The girl asked to see a timetable, feeling sure that her father could not have made such a mistake. 姑娘要求看到时刻表，因为她相信父亲不能把这么大的事弄错。
7. There was no mistake and no alternative. 一点也没搞错，而且也没有回旋的余地。
8. He decided to overlook her mistake. 他决定原谅她的错误。
9. However, a few days later, he was told that a mistake had been made. 然而，几天之后，有人告诉他说弄错了。
10. During the conversation, the President brought up the question of access to the Baltic Sea, but through a mistake in translation Stalin thought the President was referring to the Baltic States. 谈话中总统提到了通向波罗的海航道的问题，但由于翻译的差错，斯大林以为总统在谈波罗的海国家。