1 ~ (of sth) (fml 文) way or manner in which sth is done 方式; 方法
*a mode of life, living, operation, thought, transport 生活模式、生活方式、操作方法、思想方法、交通工具类型
* The level of formality determines the precise mode of expression. 不同的礼节程度决定所需的确切表达方式.
2 (usu sing 通常作单数) style or fashion in clothes, art, drama, etc （衣着、艺术、戏剧等的）样式, 形式, 风格
*the latest mode 最新款式.
3 any of several arrangements of musical notes, eg the major or minor scale system in modern music （近代音乐的）调式（如大调式、小调式）.
4 arrangement or setting of equipment to perform a certain task （设备中的）操作安排, 状态, 模式, 模
*a spacecraft in re-`entry mode 处于重返大气层运行中的航天器
* a tape-recorder in `play-back/re`cording mode 处于重放[录音]工作状态的录音机.
1300-1400; Language: Latin;Origin:
modus 'measure, way'
a particular way or style of behaving, living or doing somethingmode of the most efficient mode of transport They have a relaxed mode of life that suits them well. Western modes of thoughttechnical
a particular way in which a machine or piece of equipment can operate Set the monitor to 256 colour mode. To get out of the 'auto' mode on the camera, turn the knob to 'M'.be in work mode/holiday mode etcinformal
to have a particular feeling or way of thinking or behaving, because of the situation you are in With only minutes to go, we were now in panic mode.be the modeformal
to be fashionable at a particular time Long skirts were then the mode.technical
one of various systems of arranging notes in music, such as major
in Western music
→à la mode, modish
1. And without giving any consideration to the effects produced on the individuals and on their descendants by the artificial mode of existence imposed by the factory. 工厂把一种人为的生存方式强加给工人，却不顾及这种生存方式给工人及其后代带来的影响。
2. Americans tend to become trapped in a working and spending consumption mode, driven by merchants, that leads them to rack up their expectations. 美国人往往会陷入一种由商人们所鼓吹的工作-花钱消费的模式之中，这种模式引诱他们抬高了自己的期望值。
3. She is not used to the formal mode of address. 她不习惯于这种正式称呼。