1 [C] very brief period of time 瞬间; 片刻
*He thought for a moment and then spoke. 他想了片刻, 然後说.
* It was all over in a few moments. 不一会儿就都完了.
* Can you wait a moment or two, please? 请等一下, 好吗?
* She answered without a moment's hesitation. 她毫不迟疑立即回答.
* One moment please, ie Please wait a short time. 请稍候.
* I shall only be a moment. 我一会儿就回来.
* I'll be back in a moment, ie very soon. 我这就回来.
* Extra police arrived not a moment too soon, ie It was almost too late when they arrived. 增援的警察赶到时未免太迟了.
2 [sing] exact point in time 就在那时; 当时
*At that (very) moment, the phone rang. 就在那时电话铃响了.
* the moment of birth 出生时刻
* `Could you go to the post office for me, please?' `I've only this moment come in', ie I came in a very short time ago. ｀你可以替我去趟邮局吗?＇｀我才刚进来嘛.＇
3 [C] time for doing something; occasion 做某事的时刻; 时机
*This is a suitable moment to ask for the afternoon off. 这是请下午假的最好时机.
* wait for the right moment 等候恰当的时机
* in moments of great happiness 在非常快活的时刻.
4 [C usu sing 通常作单数] (physics 物) tendency to cause movement, esp rotation about a point （力）矩
*the moment of a force 力矩.
5 (idm 习语) any minute/moment => minute1. at the `moment at the present time; now, considered as a shorter or longer period 此刻, 现在, 目前（可指较短或较长的时间）
*The number is engaged at the moment. Try again in five minutes. 这个号现在占线. 五分钟後再试试吧.
* He's unemployed at the moment and has been for over six months. 他目前失业, 已经有半年多了. for the `moment/`present temporarily; for now 暂时; 目前
*We're happy living in a flat for the moment but we may want to move to a house soon. 目前我们住单元房很满意, 不过不久我们也许想住个独门独院的房子. have one's/its `moments (infml 口) have short times that are more interesting than the ordinary usual times 有快乐的时候
*My job is not a very glamorous one but it does have its moments. 我的工作虽不算十分吸引人, 但也自有其乐趣所在. in the heat of the moment => heat1. in a `moment very soon 一会儿; 立刻; 马上
*I'll come in a moment. 我一会儿就来. the last minute/moment => last1. the man, woman, boy, girl, etc of the `moment person that is highly praised, most popular or most important at present 当前备受称赞、红极一时或最重要的人物. the minute/moment (that...) => minute1. the ,moment of `truth point at which the reality of the condition of sb/sth has to be faced and an important decision has to be made 重要关头; 决定性时刻. not for a/one minute/moment => minute1. of `moment (fml 文) of importance 重要的; 关系重大的
*This is a matter of great/some/little/no small moment. 此事关系重大[不无关系/关系不大/非同小可]. on the spur of the moment => spur. the psychological moment => psychological (psychology). a weak moment => weak.
1【point in time】
3 at the moment
4 for the moment
5 the moment (that) somebody does something
6 the last moment
7 (at) any moment
9 moment of madness/weakness/panic etc
10 one moment ... the next/from one moment to the next
11 not believe/think/do something for a/one moment
12 of the moment
13 have its/your moments
14 not a moment too soon
15 the moment of truth
16 of great moment
[Date: 1300-1400; Language: French;Origin:Latin momentum; MOMENTUM]
【POINT IN TIME】
a particular point in time
It was one of the most exciting moments in his life.
at this/that moment
(=used for emphasis)
Just at that moment there was a knock on the door.
She may be in trouble at this very moment and trying to call you.
I remember the moment when I first saw him after the operation.
Quinn always seems to be in the right place at the crucial moment.
I just this moment (=only a very short time ago) arrived and already Dan wants to know when I'm leaving.
At this moment in time it would be inappropriate to comment on the situation.
From that moment on (=after that time) we were the best of friends.
a very short period of time
He was here a moment ago .
Can you spare a few moments to answer some questions?
in a moment
I'll come back to that point in a moment.
for a moment
It was quiet for a moment, then Rae spoke.
after a moment
'I don't understand,' said Louise after a moment.
A moment later we heard a splash.
wait/just a moment
(=used when you want someone to wait a short time while you do or say something)
Just a moment; let me put these away first.
We have to be ready to leave at a moment's notice (=very quickly) .
at the moment
BrE especially spoken , AmE formal now
Julia's on holiday in Spain at the moment.
At the moment, the situation in Haiti is very tense.
for the moment
used to say that something is happening or is true now but will probably change in the future
Well, for the moment we're just friends.
For the moment the rain had stopped.
the moment (that) sb does sth
as soon as someone does something
He said he'd phone you the moment he got home.
the last moment
if you do something at the last moment or if something happens at the last moment, it happens at the last possible time
at the last moment
The operation was cancelled at the last moment.
She always leaves everything to the last moment .
(at) any moment
The plumber should be here any moment now .
The roof could collapse at any moment.
【OPPORTUNITY】 [usually singular]
a particular time when you have a chance to do something
His wife Denise was there to share his big moment (=opportunity to do something great) .
choose/pick your moment
(=try to choose the best time to do something)
He picked his moment carefully to tell them the news.
This was her moment and she knew she had to take it.
moment of madness/weakness/panic etc
a short period of time when you do not feel or behave as normal and often do or say something which you later wish you had not done or said
in a moment of sth
In a moment of madness I agreed to go with him.
He experienced a brief moment of panic.
one moment ... the next/from one moment to the next
used to say that a situation changes very suddenly, often in a way which you do not expect or cannot explain
One moment she's kissing me, the next she doesn't want to see me again.
You never know what's going to happen from one moment to the next.
not believe/think/do sth for a/one moment
especially spoken used to say that you did not believe, expect etc something at all
He didn't fool me for a moment.
She had never for one moment imagined that it could happen to her.
of the moment
the person, idea, word etc of the moment is the one that is most important or popular at the present time
They interview personalities on a topic of the moment.
the mood of the moment
have its/your moments
to have periods of being good or interesting
a movie that had its moments
not a moment too soon
almost too late
The ambulance finally arrived, and not a moment too soon.
the moment of truth
the time when you will find out if something will work properly, be successful etc
of great moment
HINT sense 1
Do not say in that moment when you mean 'at that particular time'. Say at that moment:At that moment, everything stopped.
1. Even though friends and family support the idea of going, it is difficult to say good-bye at this moment. 即使朋友们及家人支持他们出国留学, 但在此时此刻说声再见却是很困难的。
2. Ben stared a moment, and then said: 本盯着看了一会儿，然后说：
3. We´ve been working all week without a moment´s leisure. 我们整星期一直工作, 没有片刻空闲.
4. What invariably happens is that a great number of things choose to go wrong at precisely the same moment. 情况经常是这样的，许许多多的事情都偏偏赶在同一时刻出问题，
5. The child looked around for a moment and said, ´I think they´re all crazy!´ 他向四周环顾了一会儿,说到:"我看他们都疯了!"
6. This hapless creature had never known a moment´s pleasure. 这个不幸的人一生中没有得到过丝毫快乐。
7. Then she heard his step on the stairs, and she turned pale for just a moment. 接着,她听到楼梯上响起了吉姆的脚步声,有一小会儿,她脸色变得苍白.
8. The great advantage of taking medicine is that it makes no demands on the taker beyond that of putting up for a moment with a disgusting taste, 服药的最大优点是：除了暂时忍受一下令人作呕的味道外，对服药人别无其他要求。
9. The guests had, of course, realized this from the moment Bessie opened the door for them and, long before the final catastrophe, had had a difficult time trying to conceal their amusement. 客人们自然从贝西为他们开门那一刻起就看出来了，在好长一段时间里，即最后这个乱子发生前，他们努力克制才没笑出声来。
10. Though she hesitated for a moment, she finally went in and asked to see a dress that was in the window. 她虽然犹豫了片刻，但终于还是走进了商店，要求把陈列在橱窗里的一件衣服拿给她看。