n [C, U]
1 (a) early part of the day between dawn and noon or before the midday meal 上午; 早晨; 早上
*They left for Spain early this morning. 他们今天早晨去西班牙了.
* The taxi came at
8 o'clock the next morning. 计程车第二天早上8点钟来到.
* The discussion group meets in the mornings. 参加讨论的人都在上午开会.
* (on) one fine summer morning （在）夏天的一个早晨
* They stayed till Monday morning. 他们住到星期一上午.
* I'll see him tomorrow morning. 我明天上午见他.
* He swims every morning. 他每天早晨游泳.
* on the morning of the wedding 在举行婚礼的那天早晨
* I've been painting the room all morning. 我一上午都在粉刷房间.
* She works hard from morning to night. 她从早到晚辛勤工作.
* [attrib 作定语] an early morning run 清晨的跑步
* the fresh morning air 早晨清新的空气
* read the morning papers 读晨报
* Morning coffee is now being served. 现在供应早晨的咖啡.
(b) period from midnight to noon 半夜至正午的时间
*He died in the early hours of Sunday morning. 他于星期日凌晨逝世.
2 (idm 习语) good `morning (used as a polite greeting or reply to a greeting when people first see each other in the morning and sometimes also when people leave in the morning 用作上午初次见面时的相互问候语, 有时亦用作上午分别时的告别语)
*Good morning, Rosalind/Miss Dixon. 罗莎琳德[狄克逊小姐]你好. (In informal use the greeting Good morning is often shortened to just Morning 口语中Good morning常略作Morning). in the `morning
(a) during the morning of the next day 第二天上午
*I'll ring her up in the morning. 我明天上午给她打电话.
(b) between midnight and noon, not in the afternoon or evening 半夜至中午前的时间
*The accident must have happened at about
11 o'clock in the morning. 事故必是发生在上午11时左右. the morning `after (the night be`fore) (infml 口) the effects of drinking too much alcohol the previous evening; hangover 宿醉.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Usually the preposition in is used with morning/afternoon/evening, on their own and in combination with other time expressions 介词in通常与morning/afternoon/evening等词连用, 也与含这些词的时间词组连用
*in the morning/afternoon/evening 在上午[下午/晚上]
3 o'clock in the afternoon 下午三点
* on the 4th of September in the morning 在9月4日上午. In is also used with the adjectives early and late *in也与形容词early和late连用
*in the early/late morning 清晨[近午时分]. With other adjectives and in certain other expressions on is used 与其他形容词及某些词组连用时需用on
*on a cool morning in spring 春天的一个凉爽的早晨
* on Monday afternoon 在星期一下午
* on the previous/following evening 在头天[第二天]晚上
* on the morning of the 4th of September 在9月4日的上午. Nopreposition is used in combination with tomorrow/this/yesterday afternoon 在tomorrow/this/yesterday afternoon这种形式的词组之前不用任何介词
*We arrived yesterday afternoon. 我们昨天下午到的.
* They'll leave this evening. 他们今天晚上离开.
* I'll start work again tomorrow morning. 我明天早晨重新开始工作. See also usage note at time1. 另见time1用法说明.
1. Early next morning, she saw a light ahead. 第二天一清早，她看见前面有灯光.
2. Early next morning, she heard planes passing overhead and wondered how she could send a signal. 第二天清晨，她听到头上有飞机飞过，却不知道怎样才能发出信号，
3. Every morning, he left home dressed in a smart black suit. 每天早晨，他穿上一身漂亮的黑色西装离家上班，
4. Early next morning, she saw a light ahead. 第二天凌晨，她看到前方有灯光，
5. Early next morning, she heard planes passing overhead and wondered how she could send a signal. 第二天一大早，她听到头顶上有飞机飞过，但不知道怎样才能发个信号。
6. Every day they parted in the morning and met in the evening. 此后，他们早上分手晚上见，每天如此。
7. But, one morning Miss Sullivan took Helen to a water pond, and she put Helen´s hand under the water. 直到一天早晨，萨莉文小姐带着海伦来到一个池塘边，她把海伦的手放进水里，
8. For the puma was often observed at one place in the morning and at another place twenty miles away in the evening. 因为常常是早晨在甲地发现那只美洲狮，晚上却在20英里外的乙地发现它的踪迹。
9. We had a exam this morning. 今天早上我们考试了.
10. What a frosty morning! 多冷的早晨啊!