动词过去式:multiplied 过去分词:multiplied 现在分词:multiplying 第三人称单数:multiplies
v (pt, pp -lied)
1 [I, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ A by B/~ A and B (together) add a number to itself a particular number of times 乘
*children learning to multiply and divide 学习乘法和除法的儿童 *
3 multiply to make 6, ie
2 = 6. 2和3相乘得6. *
2 multiplied by
4 makes 8, ie
4 = 8. 2乘以4得8.
* One can make
12 by multiplying
6 (together) or
3 (together), ie
4 x 3. 以2、6或4、3相乘可得12.
2 [I, Tn] increase (sth) in number or quantity 增多, 增加（某事物）
*Our problems have multiplied since last year. 自去年以来我们的问题增多了.
* Buy lots of raffle tickets and multiply your chances of success. 多买彩票, 增加你中奖的机会.
3 [I, Tn] (biology 生) (cause sb/sth to) produce large numbers of offspring by procreation, fertilization, etc （使某人[某物]）繁殖, 增殖
*Rabbits multiply rapidly. 兔子繁殖得很快.
* It is possible to multiply bacteria and other living organisms in the laboratory. 在实验室能够繁殖细菌和其他生物.
v past tense and past participlemultipliedpresent participlemultiplyingthird person singularmultiplies
1100-1200; Language: Old French;Origin:
multiplier, from Latin
multiplicare, from multiplex; MULTIPLEX
] [I and T]
to do a calculation in which you add a number to itself a particular number of times
→divide Children will learn to multiply in the second grade.multiply sth by sth Multiply the total by 12. [I and T]
to increase by a large amount or number, or to make something do this The amount of information available has multiplied. Smoking multiplies the risk of heart attacks and other health problems. [I]
to breed Bacteria multiply quickly in warm food.
1. Errors and uncertainties multiply, cascading upward through a chain of turbulent features, from dust devils and squalls up to continent-size eddies that only satellites can see. 错误和不可靠性上升，接踵而来的是一系列湍流的徵状，从小尘暴和暴风发展到只有卫星上可以看到的席卷整块大陆的旋涡。
2. The issue of where it will be held can greatly multiply the amount of time required to reach a settlement." 案子将在何处受理的问题有可能大大增加达成协议所需的时间。"
3. And if the dance is a good physical exercise as well, the benefits multiply. 如果这种舞蹈还是一种良好的体育运动，则益处加倍。
4. If normal cells can be stimulated to divide, then abnormal ones could also be prompted to multiply, so causing or accelerating skin cancer. 如果正常的细胞可以受刺激而分裂，那么不正常的细胞也会加快繁殖，引起或加速皮肤癌的发生。