a thin piece of metal with a rough surface used for making your nails a nice shape
1. Even men who can hardly drive a nail in straight are supposed to be born electricians, carpenters, plumbers and mechanics. 甚至那些连一枚钉子都钉不直的男人都被认为是天生的电工、木匠、水管工和机械师。
2. Bits of broken glass, lengths of string, a key to a door long since decayed away, a rusty knife-blade, old shoes saved for a road that never was and never will be, a nail bent under the weight of things too heavy for any nail, a dried flower or two s 碎玻璃块；小线头儿；一扇早已朽败的门上的钥匙；一把锈蚀的刀；一双为某条从来没有、将来也不会有的路而准备的旧鞋；一颗弯折的钉，它所承受过的重量足以弄折任何钉子；一两支干花，仍散发出几许花香。
3. He drove in the nail with one stroke of the hammer. 他铁锤一敲就把钉子钉进去。
4. I need another file for my letters. 我还需要一个存放信件的夹子.
5. I lost your file by pure mischance. 我把你的文件弄没了, 纯粹是碰上的倒霉事.