n.狭窄部分,海峡,隘路 adj.狭窄的,精密的,严密的,有限的,气量小的,勉强的,眼光短浅的 vi.变窄 vt.使变狭窄,使缩小
名词:narrowness 副词:narrowly 形容词:narrowish 形容词比较级:narrower 最高级:narrowest 动词过去式:narrowed 过去分词:narrowed 现在分词:narrowing 第三人称单数:narrows
adj (-er, -est)
1 of small width compared with length 窄的
*a narrow bridge, path, ledge 窄的桥、路、檐
* The road was too narrow for cars to pass. 路很窄, 汽车过不去. Cf 参看 broad1 1, thin 1, wide 1.
2 of limited range or variety; small or restricted （范围或种类）有限的, 小的, 受限制的
*a narrow circle of friends 交游不广
* the narrow confines of small-town life 小镇生活的狭小天地.
3 [usu attrib 通常作定语] with only a small margin; barely achieved 勉强的; 几乎未成的
*a narrow escape from death 九死一生
* elected by a narrow majority, eg when voting is
* The favourite had a narrow lead over (ie was not far ahead of) the rest. 那匹热门马稍稍领先.
4 limited in outlook; having little sympathy for the ideas, etc of others 偏狭的; 狭隘的; 度量小的
*He has a very narrow mind. 他度量很小.
* She takes a rather narrow view of the subject. 她对这一问题有些偏见.
5 strict; exact 严格的; 精确的
*What does the word mean in its narrowest sense? 这个词的最狭义的意思是什么?
6 (idm 习语) a narrow `squeak situation in which one barely avoids failure or escapes danger 险遭失败或危险的情况. the straight and narrow => straight1.
v [I, Tn] (cause sth to) become narrower （使某物）变窄
*The road narrows here. 路到这里变窄了.* Her eyes narrowed (ie She partly closed them) menacingly.她威胁地眯起眼睛.
* The gap between the two parties has narrowed considerably. 双方的隔阂已明显缩小.
* In order to widen the road they had to narrow the pavement. 为了拓宽道路只好将人行道弄窄.
1. Balanced at the edge of a narrow white platform, I am about to jump head first into a hot new phase of Japan's leisure boom: indoor sky diving, without a parachute. 我在一块窄窄的白色跳板前端站稳，准备头朝下跳出去。这一跳将跳进日本休闲热中的一个崭新的热门项目：室内蹦极跳，不带降落伞的。
2. We must put a stop to parking in this narrow street. 我们务必使人们不再在这狭窄的街道停车。
3. We finally stopped in front of a narrow street lined on either side with small one-level houses. 我们终于在一条狭窄的、两边都排列着矮小平房的街道前面停了下来。
4. The light came through a narrow aperture. 光线来自一个狭窄的隙缝。
5. The Atlantic is relatively long and narrow. 大西洋相对来说又长又窄。
6. The greater part of the journey is spend on narrow, bumpy roads which are crowded with traffic. 大部分旅程常常要消靡在狭窄、坎坷不平而且车辆拥挤的道路上。
7. The modern city consists of monstrous edifices and of dark narrow streets full of petrol fumes, coal 现代城市是由大得怕人的大厦和充斥着难闻的汽油味, 煤灰和有毒气体和又阴暗又狭窄的街道所组成,
8. The road was too narrow for cars to pass. 路很窄, 汽车过不去.
9. The strait is narrow. 这个海峡很窄。
10. The modern city consists of monstrous edifices and of dark, narrow streets full of petrol fumes and toxic gases, torn by the noise of the taxicabs, lorries and buses, and thronged ceaselessly by great crowds. 大得吓人的高楼和阴暗狭窄的街道组成了今日现代化的城市。街道上充斥着汽油味和有毒气体，出租汽车、卡车、公共汽车的噪音刺耳难忍，络绎不绝的人群挤来挤去。