n.需要,必需,必需品,要求,贫困 vt.需要 modal v.必要,必须
动词过去式:needed 过去分词:needed 现在分词:needing 第三人称单数:needs
modal v (neg 否定式 need not, contracted form 缩约式 needn't/ 5ni:dnt; `nidnt/) (used only in negative sentences and questions, after if and whether or with hardly, scarcely, no one, etc 仅用于否定句及疑问句, 或用于if及whether之後或与hardly、scarcely、no one等连用)
1 (indicating obligation 表示必要)
*You needn't finish that work today. 你今天不必把那项工作做完.
* `Need you go yet?' `No, I needn't.' ｀你一定得去吗?＇｀我不必去.＇
* He wondered whether they need send a deposit. 他不知道他们是否得交定金.
* If she wants anything, she need only ask. 她想要什么, 只需说一声就行.
* I need hardly tell you (ie You must already know) that the work is dangerous. 无须我说你也知道那工作有危险.
* Nobody need be afraid of catching the disease. 谁都不用害怕能得这种病. =>Usage
1 at must 见must所附用法第1项.
2 (used with have + a past participle to indicate that actions in the past were or may have been unnecessary 与have +过去分词连用, 表示曾做的事无必要)
*You needn't have hurried. 你当时实在不必那么匆忙.
* She needn't have come in person a letter would have been enough. 她本不必亲自来--写封信来就足可以了.
* Need you have paid so much? 你当时真须要付那么多钱吗?
* Need they have sold the farm? 他们那时非得把农场卖掉吗?
1 [Tn, Tt, Tg] require (sth/sb); want; lack 需要（某事物[某人]）; 要; 缺乏
*That dog needs a bath. 那狗该洗澡了.
* Do you need any help? 你需要帮助吗?
* Don't go I may need you. 别走--我也许用得着你.
* I need to consult a dictionary. 我需要查字典.
* This plant needs to be watered twice a week. 这种花一星期要浇两次.
* The garden doesn't need watering it rained last night. 花园不用浇水了--昨夜刚下过雨.
* (ironic 反语) What that child needs (ie deserves) is agood spanking. 那孩子欠揍.
2 [Tt] (indicating obligation用以表示有义务或责任)
*She needs to have access to our files. 她需要用我们的文件.
* What do you need to take with you on holiday? 你去度假得带什么东西?
* I didn't need to go to the bank I borrowed some money from Mary. 我不必去银行--我找玛丽借了点儿钱.
* I didn't need to go out but I wanted a breath of fresh air. 我不一定要出去, 只想吸些新鲜空气.
* A dog needs to be taken out for a walk every day. 狗得每天带出去 .
* Will we need to show our passports? 我们要出示护照吗? =>Usage
1 at must 见must所附用法第1项.
1 [sing, U] ~ (for sth); ~ (for sb) to do sth circumstances in which sth is lacking, or necessary, or which require sth to be done; necessity 缺乏; 必须; 需要
*There's a great need for a new book on the subject. 非常需要有一本这方面的新书.
* I feel a need to talk to you about it. 我觉得有必要跟你谈谈那件事.
* There's no need for you to start yet. 你现在还不必动身.
2 needs [pl] basic necessities or requirements 基本的必需品; 基本需要
*supply a baby's needs 提供幼儿的必需品
* I don't live in luxury but I have enough to satisfy my needs. 我生活不奢侈, 但能满足基本需要.
20 be enough for your immediate needs? 20英镑能否够你急需之用?
3 [U] poverty; misfortune; adversity 贫穷; 不幸; 逆境
*He helped me in my hour of need. 他在我困难时帮助过我.
4 (idm 习语) a friend in need => friend. if need be if necessary 如果需要的话
*There's always the food in the freezer if need be. 需要食物的话, 冰箱里就有.
* If need be, I can do extra work at the weekend. 必要时我可以在周末加班. ,your need is ,greater than `mine (saying 谚) we both want this but you must have it because you need it more than I do 你比我更需要（所以我让给你）.