n.否定,负数,底片 adj.否定的,消极的,负的,阴性的 vt.否定,拒绝(接受)
名词:negativeness 副词:negatively 动词过去式:negatived 过去分词:negatived 现在分词:negativing 第三人称单数:negatives
1 (of words, sentences,etc) expressing denial or refusal; indicating `no' or `not' （指词、句等）表示否定或拒绝的
*a negative sentence, question, adverb 否定句、否定疑问句、有否定含义的副词
* give sb a negative answer 给某人以否定的答覆
* a negative decision on an application 对申请的否决. Cf 参看 affirmative.
2 lacking in definite, constructive or helpful qualities or characteristics 消极的; 败事的; 无助益的
*He has a very negative attitude to his work, ie is not interested in trying to do it well or properly. 他的工作态度很消极.
* negative criticism, ie that does not suggest how the thing criticized could be improved 消极的批评（未对所批评的事物提出改进意见的）
* a negative definition, ie one that defines a word, etc by saying what it does not mean 反面定义（通过说明一词不是某意思来给该词下定义者）
* The results of her pregnancy test were negative, ie showed that she was not pregnant. 她的妊娠试验结果呈阴性.
3 (mathematics 数) (of a quantity) less than zero; (of a number) that has to be subtracted from other numbers or from zero （指值或数）负的.
4 containing or producing the type of electric charge carried by electrons （电）阴极的, 负极的
*the negative terminal of a battery, ie the one through which current enters from an external circuit 电池的负极.
5 (of a photograph) with the light areas of the actual object(s) or scene appearing as dark, and the dark areas as light （指摄影）底片的. Cf 参看 positive.
1 word or statement that expresses or means denial or refusal 否定词; 否定语
*`No', `not' and `neither' are negatives. no、not、neither都是否定词.
2 developed photographic film, etc on which the light and dark areas of the actual object(s) or scene are reversed and from which positive pictures can be made （摄影等的）底片, 负片.
3 (idm 习语) in the `negative (fml 文) (of a sentence, etc) containing a negative word; expressing denial, refusal, etc （指句子等）含有否定词的, 表示否定或拒绝等的, 否定的
*She answered in the negative, ie said `no'. 她做出否定的回答.
v [Tn] (fml 文)
1 refuse to approve or grant (sth); veto 否定, 否认（某事）; 否决
*negative a request, an application, etc 否决一要求、申请等.
2 prove (sth) to be untrue; disprove 证明（某事物）不实; 驳斥; 反驳.
3 neutralize (an effect) 抵销（一作用）.
1. 'We kind of like that spirit. We don't like it with the negative attitudes. We want to turn that spirit positive.'" '我们有几分喜欢这种活力，但并不喜欢它消极的一面，而是要将它转化成积极的一面。'"
2. Workaholics, like those who are constantly drunk, suffer from a controlling habit, usually defined as compelling behavior despite negative consequences. 工作狂, 就像那些老是醉醺醺的人一样，有一种无法摆脱的习惯，这种习惯通常被定义为不顾消极后果的强迫性行为。
3. That point was emphasized by the fact that Gail's parents, after thirty-five years of marriage, were going through a bitter and painful divorce, which had destroyed Gail and for a time had a negative effect on our budding relationship. 下列事实强调了这样一点：已经结婚35年的盖尔父母正经历着一场充满怨恨、令人痛苦的婚变，这件事给了盖尔以毁灭性的打击, 并一度给我们正处于萌芽状态的关系带来了负面的影响。
4. He has a very negative attitude to his work. 他的工作态度很消极.
5. As is the Chinese cook's custom, my mother always made negative remarks about her own cooking. 我妈妈总是要对她自己的烹饪发表一些评论，说一些自己的菜烧得不好之类的话，这是中国厨师的习惯。
6. "What worries me," said Steve, "is that music has a very negative message. "令我担心的，" 史蒂夫说， "是音乐会传达一种非常消极的信息。
7. A parent who only gives a brief reply to a child's questions or gives dull answers will be passing on a negative, narrow-minded style of thinking. 对孩子的问题只做出简单的回应，或是只给出乏味的回答，这样的父母传给孩子们的是一种消极的、偏狭的思维方式。
8. Social and economic progress will grind to a halt and more and more jobs will be eliminated by the negative side of this transformation. 社会和经济上的进步会慢慢停止下来，而且越来越多的工作岗位会因为这种改革的负面作用而消失。
9. Learn to be less hostile by changing some of your attitudes and negative thinking. 通过改变你的某些看法和消极思想，学会对事物不再抱有那么强烈的敌视态度。
10. It could have a negative influence on Sandy. 它对桑迪可能有负面的影响。