动词过去式:nerved 过去分词:nerved 现在分词:nerving 第三人称单数:nerves
1 [C] fibre or bundle of fibres carrying impulses of sensation or of movement between the brain and all parts of the body 神经
*pain caused by a trapped nerve 压迫神经产生的疼痛. =>illus at tooth 见tooth插图.
2 nerves [pl] (infml 口) condition in which one is very nervous, irritable, worried, etc; nervousness 神经过敏; 神经紧张; 神经质
*suffer from nerves, ie be easily upset, worried, etc 患神经过敏
* She doesn't know what nerves are, ie is never worried, upset, etc by events. 她根本就不知道什么是神经紧张（遇事从不着急、烦恼等）.
* He has nerves of steel, ie a very calm temperament in times of stress, danger, etc. 他沉得住气.
3 (a) [U] boldness; courage 胆量; 勇气
*lose/regain one's nerve 失去[恢复]勇气
* a first-class skier with a lot of nerve 勇敢的滑雪健将
* It takes nerve to be a racing driver. 当赛车手要有胆量.
* Rock-climbing is a test of nerve and skill. 攀岩运动能考验人的勇气和技巧.
* I wouldn't have the nerve to try anything so dangerous. 我可不敢做那么危险的事.
(b) [sing] (derog infml 贬, 口) impudence (used esp as in the expressions shown) 厚脸皮, 放肆（尤用于以下示例）
*What a nerve! She just walked off with my radio! 脸皮真厚! 她一声不吭把我的收音机拿走了!
* He's got a nerve, going to work dressed like that. 他胆子可真大, 竟敢穿着那样的衣服去上班.
* She had the nerve to say I was cheating. 她竟敢说我作弊, 太放肆了.
4 [C] (botany 植) rib of a leaf 叶脉.
5 (idm 习语) a bundle of nerves => bundle. get on sb's `nerves (infml 口) irritate or annoy sb 刺激或烦扰某人
*Stop whistling! It's/You're getting on my nerves! 别吹口哨了! 扰得我心烦! hit/touch a (raw) `nerve refer to a subject that causes sb pain, anger, etc 提及使某人痛苦、气愤等的事
*You hit a raw nerve when you mentioned his first wife. 你曾提到他的前妻刺到了他的痛处. strain every nerve => strain1. a war of nerves => war.
v [Tn.pr, Cn.t] ~ sb/oneself for sth give sb/oneself the courage, strength or determination to do sth 使某人[自己]有勇气、力量或决心做某事
*Her support helped nerve us for the fight. 她给予的支持使我们有勇气去拚搏.
* I nerved myself to face my accusers. 我下决心迎击指责我的人.
1. Be that as it may, the nerve poison does its business with man far more quickly than the blood poison. 不过，神经毒辣液比溶血性毒液在人身上起作用快得多。
2. The makers of the nerve poison include the mambas and the cobras and their venom is called neurotoxic. 产生神经毒液的蛇名叫马姆伯斯的非洲大毒蛇和眼睛蛇, 它们的毒液称为神经毒素.
3. The makers of the nerve poison include the mambas and the cobras 产生神经毒液的蛇有一种非洲树眼镜蛇和眼镜蛇，
4. Total darkness came as a result of a swelling of the nerve leading to his eye — a condition that was unrelated to the eye disease that had limited his vision since birth. 双目失明是由视神经发炎膨胀造成的--这病与他的眼疾无关。自出生起他就有眼疾，视力有限。
5. The body has about a hundred billion nerve cells, and every experience triggers a brain response that literally shapes our senses. 人体有大约1,000亿个神经细胞，每一次经历都会激发脑部的反应，而这种反应实际上影响着我们的感知。
6. Pierce J. Howard, another expert, says new research indicates that physical exercise increases the amount of certain brain chemicals that stimulate growth of nerve cells. 另一名专家皮尔斯·J. 霍华德说，新的研究表明，体育锻炼提高了大脑中某些激发神经细胞生长的脑化学物质的含量。
7. It is said that the nerve poison is the more primitive of the two, 据说，神经毒液在两种毒液中是较为原始的一种，
8. In particular, he studied how to prevent a wounded man from bleeding too much, and also he studied the nerve system in the bodies of animals and humans. 特别是，他研究了怎样防止伤员流血过多。同时还研究了动物和人体的神经系统。