n.无,不关紧要之事,[数]零 adv.毫不,决不 int.什么也没有,无
/'nʌθɪŋ; `nʌθɪŋ/ neg pron
1 not anything; no single thing 没什么; 没什么东西; 无物; 一个也没有
*Nothing gives me more pleasure than listening to Mozart. 再没有比听莫扎特的乐曲更让我高兴的事了.
* There's nothing interesting in the newspaper. 报纸上没什么有趣的新闻.
* I've had nothing to eat since lunchtime. 从午饭时间到现在我什么都没吃.
* There's nothing you can do to help. 你帮不上忙.
* He's five foot nothing, ie exactly five feet tall. 他整整五英尺高.
* It used to cost nothing to visit a museum. 过去参观博物馆是不收分文的.
* What's the matter? Nothing serious, I hope. 怎么了? 我希望没什么大不了的事.
* There is nothing as refreshing as lemon tea. 什么都不如柠檬茶那样提神.
* I had nothing stronger than orange juice to drink. 我只喝了橙汁, 没喝酒. =>Usage at nought 用法见nought.
2 (idm 习语) be nothing to sb be a person for whom sb has no feelings 对某人来说无所谓的人
*`What is she to you?' `She's nothing to me.' ｀她在你心目中如何?＇｀她对我来说无所谓.＇ for `nothing
(a) without payment; free 不要钱; 免费
5 can travel for nothing. 5岁以下儿童可免付旅费.
* We could have got in for nothing nobody was collecting tickets. 我们本可以不买票就进去--根本没人收票.
(b) with no reward or result; to no purpose 无酬劳; 无结果; 徒劳
*All that preparation was for nothing because the visit was cancelled. 因为访问取消了, 一切准备工作都白费了. have nothing on sb (infml 口)
(a) not be as clever, capable, etc as sb 不如某人聪明、有能力等; 比不上某人
*Sherlock Holmes has nothing on you you're a real detective. 福尔摩斯也没有你本事大--你是真的侦探.
(b) (of the police) have no information that could lead to sb's arrest （指警方）没有逮捕某人的罪证
*They've got nothing on me I've got an alibi. 他们没抓我的罪证--我有不在现场的证据. have nothing to `do with sb/sth not concern oneself with sb/sth; avoid sb/sth 自己与某人[某事]无关; 避开某人[某事]
*He's a thief and a liar; I'd have nothing to do with him, if I were you. 他又偷东西又说谎; 我要是你的话, 就不跟他来往. `nothing but only 仅仅; 只不过; 只
*Nothing but a miracle can save her now. 现在只有出现奇迹她才能得救.
* I want nothing but the best for my children. 我要把最好的给我的孩子. nothing if not (infml 口) extremely; very 极; 非常; 很
*The holiday was nothing if not varied. 假日活动极其丰富多彩. nothing less than completely; totally 完全; 全部
*His negligence was nothing less than criminal. 他的粗心大意无异于犯罪. nothing like (infml 口)
(a) not at all like 丝毫不像; 完全不像
*It looks nothing like a horse. 这完全看不出像马.
(b) absolutely not 绝对不
*Her cooking is nothing like as good as yours. 她做饭的手艺绝比不上你. nothing more than only 仅仅; 只不过
*It was nothing more than a shower. 只不过下了场阵雨. ,nothing `muchnot a great amount (of sth); nothing of great value or importance 非大量（的某物）; 少量; 价值不大; 不重要
*There's nothing much in the post. 邮件中没什么要紧的东西.
* I got up late and did nothing much all day. 我起晚了, 一整天也没做什么事. (there's) nothing `to it (it's) very simple （这）非常简单
*I did the crossword in half an hour there was nothing to it. 我用了半小时就把纵横字谜填好了--容易极了. there is/was nothing (else) `for it (but to do sth) there is no other action to take (except the one specified) （除去指出的办法外）别无他法
*There was nothing else for it but to resign. 除了辞职别无他法.