副词:observingly 动词过去式:observed 过去分词:observed 现在分词:observing 第三人称单数:observes
serv＝to serve（服务）,to keep（保持）
1 [I, Tn, Tf, Tw, Tnt only passive 只用于被动语态, Tng, Tni] see and notice (sb/sth); watch carefully 看到, 注意到（某人[某事物]）; 观察; 监视
*He observes keenly, but says little. 他观察敏锐, 但是很少说话.
* observe the behaviour of birds 观察鸟类的行为
* She observed that he'd left but made no comment. 她看见他离去, 但未置一词.
* They observed how the tiny wings were fitted to the body. 他们观看了微型翼的安装情况.
* The woman was observed to follow him closely. 有人看到那女子紧跟着他.
* The police observed the man entering/enter the bank. 警方监视着那男子进入银行的情况.
2 [Tn] (fml 文)
(a) obey (rules, laws, etc) 遵守, 奉行（规则、法令等）
*observe the speed limit 遵守速度限制规定
* observe the laws of the land 遵守该国法律.
(b) celebrate (festivals, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) 庆祝, 过（节日、生日、周年等）
*Do they observe Christmas Day in that country? 那个国家的人过圣诞节吗?
3 [Tn, Tf] (fml 文) say by way of comment; remark 评说; 评论
*He observed that it would probably rain. 他说很可能下雨.
* `It may rain,' he observed. ｀可能要下雨, ＇他说.
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:
observer, from Latin
observare 'to guard, watch'
, from servare 'to keep'
] [T not in progressive]formal
to see and notice something Scientists have observed a drop in ozone levels over the Antarctic.observe that It was observed that 40 percent of patients had high blood pressure.observe sb doing sth Officers observed him driving at 90 miles per hour. Predators have been observed to avoid attacking brightly coloured species. [I and T]
to watch something or someone carefully The police have been observing his movements. One student performs the experiment, while his partner observes.observe what/how/where Observe how the people in the group interact. [T]formal
to say or write what you have noticed about a situation 'Sid looks ill,' Doherty observed.observe that Keynes observed that humans fall into two classes. [T]
to do what you are supposed to do according to a law or agreement
= obey So far the ceasefire has been observed by both sides. [T]
to do things and obey laws that are part of a religion or custom
1. Why wasn´t it possible to observe the electric discharge in the usual way?" 为什么按正常方法不能观测到放电量？”
2. The aim was to look like street people and to observe what difference that made in the way other people responded to us — whether the appearance of poverty would invite prejudice on us. 我们的目的是为了让自己看上去像漂泊街头的人，以观察别人对我们会有何不同反应——贫穷的外表是否会招致对我们的歧视。
3. So it is with personal disappointment that I observe the current tendency to keep out new arrivals. 所以我是带着我个人的失望心情来看待目前当局阻止移民美国的倾向的。
4. Most animals we commonly observe do in fact age as we do, if given the chance to live long enough; 我们通常看到的大多数动物，即使能让它们活得足够长久的话，也会像我们一样衰老的。
5. In 1948, he went to lake Kivu in the Congo to observe a new volcano which he later named Kituro. 1948 年他到刚果的基伍湖去观察一个新火山，后来他给这座火山起名为基图罗。
6. In 1948, he went to Lake Kivu in the Congo to observe a new volcano which he later named Kituro. 1948年他去了刚果的基伍湖，对一座后来被他命名为基图罗的新火山进行观察。
7. I reach for the light switch, and as it silently lights the scene, I return to the bed to observe the patient with an unemotional, medical eye. 我伸手去开灯。灯静静地照亮了整个病房，我走回病床边，用无动于衷的、医生的目光观察着病人。